Luan Plywood in a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Briyon, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Briyon

Briyon Chirping

Apr 21, 2009
    Richmond, VT
    I am in the process of building my coop and run. The coop will be insulated and I want to sheeth the walls inside with 1/4" luan plywood. Is that ok to use inside a coop? What have others used to cover the inside of their coops?

Thanks,

Brian

2. davidr

davidr Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    Mokena, IL
    1/2" osb.

David

3. Schroeder

Schroeder Songster

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Luan is relatively expensive and you'll need to prime and paint it anyway. Shower board panels are cheaper and have a slick finish that is easy to clean.

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    I put luan in my coop and thought I was the cat's meow because I was so smart. NOW I see that someone used shower paneling! Cheaper and very cleanable. EXCELLENT! Now I feel dumb. Go with the shower paneling.

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I believe there are option more economic and ergonmic (sp?) I just use plywood. Cheap, easy, and I can paint it with satin exterior and its easy to clean. I was considering panels, but with a small coop like I'm building, too many angels :\\

6. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    I used frp fiberglass reinforced plastic, it is easy to clean but pricey.

7. consdrs

consdrs Songster

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I put up cheap luan in my first coop. I primed it, painted it with exterior paint and caulked the peawads outta it. looks great! I found all of this in home depots cull wood pile for like a buck a piece and couldn't pass it up. it was broken in some places (cull wood) and had some paint on it but it worked great! Its been hosed and washed and is holding up great. the shower stall stuff was way outta my price range.

Connie

Ps I didn't know it was called luan. we called it door skins....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: