Lubbock, Texas area. erayAndBetty are REALLY NEW!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by erayAndBetty, Feb 19, 2012.

1. erayAndBetty

erayAndBetty New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    We have decided to get our Chicken Adventure started BUT wonder at all the advice we are seeing on the computer! However, it also makes us all the more excited to get this started!

I am wanting to start conservative as far as the Coop. I can always add more later. We have decided we want to start with at least 4 hens. So, therefore, we were shocked at one of the Poultry Headquarters Publications, that states we must order at least 25 per order. Oh my.

Betty has three breeds selected, and I really don't have a preference at this point. Honestly, I am excited at the compost and fertilizer they will bring to our garden, as well as eggs and fun! I will have lots of kitchen goodies for them to enjoy, and will let them sort through the garden as often as I can. They will be happy for sure.

We live in a SMALL community surrounded by cotton farms, and a few coyotes in the fields around town. Our back yard is fenced, and we are adding another privacy fence out front which will provide even more secured areas for the girls to roam. Our lot is a lot and a half. Room is not an issue.

We have two English Bull Dogs who are spoiled rotten and are quite the clowns, as well as Drama Stars. We also have about 16 freshwater fish in a 29 gallon tank providing good water to feed our house plants and garden with when the water change occurs.

Does anyone near Lubbock Texas have chickens at 'home' in the cities in or around Lubbock? We live 28 miles east of Lubbock, about 8 miles before the 'High Plains' end, and the Caprock begins. There are a couple of Egg Farms, and some farmers or country folk who have chickens... I just do not know any of them.

I have seen the Egg Farm and that is one reason I want my own egg source. Unless I am starving, I am not sure I could 'harvest' my chickens. I had an Uncle who had a egg farm 50+ years ago.... I helped some of those hens make it to the freezer...even though I didn't like it at all.

Thank you all for your stories and pictures. We look forward to expanding our 'family' and making yours, a part of ours too!!

erayAndBetty

2. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    Hi there! Try Mypetchicken.com. I think they sell as small an order as 2 or 3 chicks. Or check out local poultry swap meets.

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. oldcrowfarm