Luckiest baby in the world...pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lacrystol, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    The hen in the front is Hawk, we call her Hawk because when she decided to sit on eggs if you go near her, she will yell at you which sounds exactly like a Hawk. She's a little hard to find but that is Hawk's baby. This little baby now has two mommys. The way that happened was Hawk is a very impatient bantam, she sat on this egg for 2 weeks and 4 days then decided enough is enough. Well the mommy in the back, took over her job and hatched out the baby. Well when the job was done by the second mommy, Hawk decided OK, your not the mommy but I will share the raising of this chick with you. It seems both mommy's don't mind each other and enjoy raising this little chick..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for Hawk's Amazing story:

We had a raccoon come out during the day, to try and get this baby. Hawk put her life on the line to protect it. The second mommy ran and hid, the raccoon got a hold of Hawk and was holding her by the neck. My husband heard all the commotion because every single chicken's ALERT SYSTEM went on. My husband got out there and seen the raccoon holding on to Hawk, he tried to take a shot but was afraid of shooting Hawk. Apparently, My husband has become extremely great with a gun. He took a shot anyway and hit the raccoon. The raccoon takes off with Hawk still in his/her mouth, then my husband chased after it. It finally let Hawk go, ABSOLUTELY no damage done to Hawk. A little shooken up, she calls for her baby and takes her into the coop and hids in a corner.... Hawk is the most amazing chicken I have ever seen...

She went from being IMPATIENT to being PROTECTIVE...

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

What an amazing story. Every part of it. Cute pics too-what a lucky little chick.

3. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    Thr right name for this amazing chicken, great that she make it [​IMG]

4. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Great story with a good ending. Amazing that momma would take on the raccoon.

5. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    That is a great story! Glad Hawk ended up being ok! The baby chick is so cute!

6. swatchick

swatchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Wow! What an amazing story, and, as you said -- what a lucky chick!

7. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Great story. I hope it a good enough hit that the raccoon stays away, the 2nd story never is as good as the first lol.

8. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Aww! That is absolutely a amazing story!That chick has a wonderful mom and is very lucky to have her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by