1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lucky birds...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Nov 9, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    I had my 2 hens out in the side yard today... in a low fenced in area with no net. I have been doing this for a few weeks and have had no problem with predators. I want them to be kinda like free range chicks and roam the yard but I don't do that because of a hawk that lives around here. So I change their spot everyday, in the pines, in the leaves, in the sand, in the garden, etc. I leave them right by a window so I can look out and make sure they are okay. I provide them with a dog house to go in if they want to and I provide them with food and water.

Man, I was scared to death when I saw a coyote less than 10 feet away from MY chickens. I ran outside screaming at the top of my lungs, clapping my hands and blowing a whistle. The coyote, apparently used to humans, kept the same pace and didn't seem to care if I was there or not. He didn't even know the chickens were there, I think because they were so quiet (must of been scared to death!). He wasn't even looking in our direction. He looked back at me, like "Whats you're problem lady? I'm just taking a lil stroll round the neighborhood... gees."

NEVER again. I won't never leave my girls out in the side yard unless I am out there with them. That coyote was atleast 50 pounds, could of easily jumped that fence and taken my 2 girls.
    I didn't hear anything, but thank god I looked out that window when I did.

2. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    I can't tell you how many stories I have heard about how bold coyotes are becoming. I am so glad that your chickens are safe!

3. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:Yeah, this one didn't even care how much noise I made!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by