Lucky ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Nov 25, 2010.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Ducks decided to be royal pains today.
    I let them out a bit after 6 with some breakfast, cleaned their hut, the deck, their water. Since about 6:30, they have been quacking bratty little girls! I've given them food, I've given them treats up to ying yang and only now, as it is finally getting dark, are they FINALLY quieting down.

I've threatened them no less than 389238793 times today that maybe they'd be dinner today or Christmas. Guess they know it was an empty threat, but my gosh, they were annoying little brats today. They have never been this 'bad'
    They normally quack if they are hungry and have no food. They didn't really even touch their food today. Though they were quacking their heads off at Tavarish as he was in with them snacking on their food since they didn't eat it today. Walk out and they are screaming at him and he just looks up at me with duck food all over his lips again LOL

They keep being this noisy and DH is going to be very upset and wishing them gone.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I live in a suburban area and have to be very mindful of the noise my ducks make. I find that young girls from 6- 20 weeks old are the wrost. Once they start laying they often settle down.

I dont often have issues with noise lasting very long- they will kick up a fuss for a few minutes at a time sometimes- but are usually pretty good. The few times I have had issues with continuous noise include things way out of the ordinary like a 2am visit from someone trying to break into the house- it disturbed the ducks so much that they were inconsolable for about 3 hours.

If today was something out of the ordinary by way of noise there may well be a very good reason for it to have happened.

3. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    could there of been a hawk or predator around that frightened them or did you have company that they didn't know???

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    No, we had a hawk flying close over head while we were out this afternoon and they just stood by my feet and as soon as it was gone, they were out running around again. They were very noisy long before that though.
    If I was with them or outside, they were fine, but if I was inside, didn't matter if they could see me or not, they were quacking up a storm.

DH will be happy to hear they should quiet down a bit soon. They are 16 weeks now, so if he can deal until the New Year, hopefully they will quiet down for him. On a normal day, they get loud, but not for long, especially if you tend to their "HEY, WE ARE HUNGRY" yelling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by