1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lucky Pants :)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BeccaB00, Dec 1, 2010.

1. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    A while back I posted a thread in the 'emergencies, injuries and cures' section about a little chick who had been greatly injured. I was stupid and didn't seperate him and his mom from 2 other hens and a rooster. On july 8th me and my dad went out to feed all the chickens and found this poor little baby lying in the pen, unable to move or stand. Heres Lucky at about 1 week old on the day we found him injured.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Day one: July 8th
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

His wing was stuck behind his head, and his entire leg was twisted all the way around. In the pictures I had already attemped to twist the leg back around, so the pictures don't show him at his worst.

We brought him in and put him in a box, and watched him closely.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Day 2: July 9th

The next morning I went out on our sunroom and was amazed when I saw this little chick STANDING! Ofcoarse not putting his foot on the ground, but hey! WAY better than yesterday!

[​IMG][/img]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Day 4: July 11th

I skipped a day on taking pictures. But this is on day four

Already some what putting his foot on the ground! Ofcoarse not putting presure but gettin' better!

[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Day 5: July 12th

Still not completely putting pressure on his lil foot, but now hes walking. not hopping. [​IMG] It's more of a limp now! [​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 6: July 13th

So Ive gave him the name lucky [​IMG] Since he was lucky to have made it through the first night. Heres Lucky pants on day 6.
    I've been letting him walk around our sunroom while I clean his box, and he seems to like exploring, as today, he IS walking. BARELY with a limp. [​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Day 8: July 15th

Yea, I skipped another day. But heres Lucky on day 8! [​IMG]

I had to tape the lids of the box up because he's jumping out now!!! [​IMG]

Heres the way I taped the box:
    [​IMG][/img]

And heres Lucky pants exploring [​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Day 9: July 16th
    It's been hard to take pictures every day now. So from now on I'll only be naming the date [​IMG]
    Heeeeerreeess Lucky! Exploring our porch, or 'sunroom' as usual.

[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    July 17th:
    hes begining to be quite the explorer! He likes crawling on my feet while I clean his cage and going to sleep [​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

July: 20th

My poor little boy got splayed leg. He's been showing signs of not being able to stand well over the last few days. Today, I treated it, because it got to the point where he was basically 'doing the splits' And couldn't stand.
    I didn;t get any pictures before I treated it because I was kinda freaking inside knowing he's been through sooo much...and now THIS!?
    But heres somore pictures of him RIGHT after I treated the splayed leg. I'll post more in 5 days. when I take the band-aids off [​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

He actually seems to be getting around very well with the band-aid being around his feet. Hopfully this will all turn out ok!

July 25th:

Today, EXACTLY 5 days from the day I treated Lucky for splayed leg, the band-aid comes off, to see how his little feet are [​IMG]
    Look what a joy I found when I took the band-aid off. He's standing! better yet, Walking! Like nothing ever happened [​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

the picture above is to show the beautiful white feathers coming in his wings [​IMG]

August 3rd:

Today Lucky Pants moved into a new and bigger pen [​IMG] He's really done some damage to that cardboard box hes been in for a month! [​IMG] Today I moved him into my bunnies old cage. [​IMG] he's actually became more skittish. [​IMG] hopfully he'll get out of the skittishness...
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    August 13th:
    My lil lucky is getting big!
    You can't even tell he was hurt last month!
    [​IMG][/img]
    August 21:
    Today Lucky moved into his new outdoor pen! It's got tin on the top so he wont get rained on. He's not quite liking it either! [​IMG] maybe he'll get used to it..
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    September 12:
    My lil Lucky BOY seems to be a Lil lucky GIRL!!! Looks like a hen to me.
    Heres some pix [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

So I basically posted this thread to show what a pretty chicken Lucky has became [​IMG] and to give people who have an injured chicken hope [​IMG] more pictures will be taken tomarrow!

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    She's really pretty! Looks like all your hard work paid off! Thanks for posting her progress. What kind is she?

Shelly

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    actually, she's a little game hen [​IMG] I can assure you that we DO NOT fight our game birds, but I fell in love with their colors [​IMG] All my chickens are my babies and all have been incubated here at our house. [​IMG]

4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    cute chick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by