Lucky the cracked egg's hatch-a-long

Nelliebo

Chirping
Jul 27, 2021
This is Lucky. They are a potential Rouen duckling. Last Saturday on day 4, I fumbled and cracked their shell, pretty badly. I got the cracks covered in wax as quickly as I could, and hoped for the best. We are now on day 11 and Lucky is still growing, so I thought I'd give them their own hatch-a-long. The last picture isn't so great because Lucky is getting bigger and the wax, but I could see them wiggling around in there, so I'm happy.

1629043416111.png
1629043734481.png
1629043809655.png

Lucky made it to lockdown! I was sure I'd lose the egg when I dropped it, but this much be a tough little bird.

I put the egg in wax-side down in hopes that it won't interfere with hatching. It's softer wax (from a melter because that was quickest), and scented, so I don't know if that will have any effect.

Disclaimer: ;) I am new to hatching eggs and am far from being an expert. I don't know what I am doing, just putting this out there for anyone else googling like mad after dropping their egg (like me).

Sadly, Lucky didn't make it. I had external pip yesterday morning, but by the time I checked it last night, Lucky was gone. I opened up the egg and couldn't find any reason for them not to have made it. As far as I could tell, the duckling was perfectly formed and ready to go. :/

sorry for your loss, it was a miracle that it made it so far to begin with!

I also lost a recent potential hatch to malpositioning. It was most likely a pullet too... you win some and lose some I guess

Back
Top Bottom