Lucky the dog and Lucky the quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sandspoultry, Nov 6, 2008.

1. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Last night as I was rushing around trying to get everybody fed before dark I left the lid open to our quail grow out pen. As I was feeding the turkeys I saw my wife's Pit Bull go running across the yard chasing something. When she came back I saw something white in her mouth, I yelled and she dropped a quail right away (that dog never listens to me but just this one time she did). The quail flew into the front yard and when I picked it up it was no worse for wear just a little slobbered on. So now I guess we have Lucky the dog and Lucky the quail.

Steve in NC

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad everything turn out OK, I love quail, maybe some day.....

3. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    About 3 years ago we hatched a couple of dozen quail to release. the day we let them go one of them flew around the house and into the dog run right beside our big english setter boy. The dog must have thought it was Christmas! lol DH yelled for him to drop it and he did but the stupid quail, who was unhurt at that point, didn't leave! he was not so lucky the 2nd time Bond grabbed him [​IMG]

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    My male cocker retrieves quail for me if they get loose and I can't catch them myself. He did accidentally kill one once but it was no ones fault. The quail was getting away, Merelin dashed after him, and they both fell into a gulley (about a 2ft one with steep sides). Merelin had grabbed the quail right before they crashed into the side and sadly he brought me back a slobbered hen with crushed ribs she died a bit later. [​IMG] Normally he just brings me back a slobbered scared quail lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by