Lucy & Ethel

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Lucy&Ethel, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Lucy&Ethel

Lucy&Ethel New Egg

Jan 4, 2009
    My bantam hens both stopped laying eggs. Lucy stopped laying 3 months ago and Ethel 2 months ago--They are only 2 1/2 years old--but there has been no unusual changes in environment or diet. Can this just be the age they stop laying completely? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I have a Lucy and Ethel! [​IMG] how long have they not been laying? Are they molting?

3. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Oh and [​IMG] !

4. Lucy&Ethel

Lucy&Ethel New Egg

Jan 4, 2009
    Brooster

My hens are not molting.
    Back in October, when Lucy stopped laying she mollted feathers.

5. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    I just watched a rerun with Lucy and Ethel, the one where they ordered 500 baby chicks , Made me laugh!
    Back to your problem, I think it has a lot to do with shorter days, they need more sunlight?

6. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    They will start back laying in late Feb. most likely . a lot of bantams are like game hens ,they quit laying in late fall and start back late winter to early spring

7. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    My dog and cat are Lucy and Ethel. [​IMG]

I have some bantams that are getting up there in age and only lay an egg every once in a blue moon. One or two have stopped all together so far this winter. I'm not sure if they'll start back up in the spring or not. Their daughters though are laying eggs like crazy.

8. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a Lucy and Ethel, too.

They are bantam RIR hens. Mine are younger than yours, though.
    And because we live in Arizona, the days are shorter, but it is not very cold, so they are still laying daily.

Not sure where you are at, but the shorter days and colder temperatures are probably affecting their laying.

Good luck!!

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I also have a Lucy and Ethel! They're ducks.

You're all copycats. [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ms. Lewis Rich :

I just watched a rerun with Lucy and Ethel, the one where they ordered 500 baby chicks , Made me laugh!
    Back to your problem, I think it has a lot to do with shorter days, they need more sunlight?

I remember that episode - it is hilarious.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by