Lucy hatched her 2 chicks!**PICS**Getting bigger! UPDATE PICS & VIDEO

Lisa202

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Long Island NY
My EE, Lucy, hatched her first two babies. I heard peeping under her when I got home last night, lifted her up a bit and out stuck this little black foot.

Lucy looks really mean. Look at her eyes
hide.gif

65913_chickens_059.jpg

65913_chickens_060.jpg

65913_chickens_061.jpg

When my other EE hatched 1 chick last month, it died on the 5th day. I had left them all alone to let nature do it's thing, but now I'm wondering if I should help them along.

So I do anything this time?

NEW PICTURES...NOW 2 DAYS OLD
65913_chickens_069.jpg

65913_chickens_071.jpg

AND VIDEO

Last edited:
Aww so adorable. I just love black fuzzy butts, well honestly I love them all regardless of color. Congratulations!!! Lucy did a wonderful job.

My daughter did her Science project for school on hatching chick eggs but unfortunately I didn't have any broody hens so I got an incubator and we dove in head first. Well 7 hatched and on the 5th day one of the little black chicks died. I don't know what happened it was fine and then got sluggish and gone. I am sorry you lost one cause if you are like me I get attached as soon as I see the little guy. lol

I also have an EE named Lucy! She is white with gold lacing on her neck and front.

Quote:
Do you know why that little one died on the 5th day? Was it sickly looking? I was with the mommy and the little one when mine died. It seemed fine, then 5 minutes later her legs were spread out and within another 5 minutes she had died. It happened so quickly...did the same thing happen with yours?

Lisa

No the little guy seemed fine but it was the last to hatch and it was the smallest. I thought it was fine but the 4th day it was sluggish and so my daughter and I hand fed and watered all day and I was hopeful that it would pull through. It just stood there and wobbled slightly and didn't move much. And when I woke up the next morning it had laid down and died and the other chicks were all huddled around it, it was so sad. I am sorry about your baby. Did you give the EE hen new eggs to hatch?

Oh btw, my name is also Lisa. lol

Quote:
Hi Lisa,

She actually stole a couple eggs within the first hour of the chick dieing. I let her keep them, but then she quit after 5 days. I guess she had enough and was sick of missing all the fun. Then Lucy then became broody a couple days later (not able to save the eggs). She was weird throughout her brooding. I would find her up and about constantly...one night I found her on the roost. But I kept candling the eggs and seeing progression, so I let her continue. I am surprised that they did hatch being that they were left so many times. Both of these chickens are 26 weeks old, so these were their 1st brooding attempts. I know they can brood, now I have to see if Lucy can teach the babies right. The first chick just might have been sickly, but I don't know...it was small for being 5 days old. When I got my original chicks mailed to me, they were so much bigger on their 3rd day.

I'm just nervous that these 2 little ones will die too. I didn't intervene on the last one, but I intend to this time. I dipped their beeks in water and put them on the food plate. They didn't eat or drink, but then they had just hatched within 24 hours. I will try again today when I get home.

Yea I try to keep the mommas and the babies seperated from the rest of the flock because they could hurt the babies and I had had enough of them cracking eggs and ripping babies not fully developed out of their shells. It was awful. Poor little things. That part of the hatching process is not very pleasant.

Yea that is young for being broody (well to me it is) All oh my many broody hens have been considerably older. Now I would just bet that they may go broody again this summer. I had a WJG go broody 3 times last year and hatched chicks each time. Most of mine have been 1 year or so. But I have an almost 10 month old BO broody now. I believe it is all in the chicken. Are you able to bring the chicks inside under a heat lamp if Lucy decides she doesn't want to be the Mommy anymore because it is to cold now to let them on their own.

I believe you are right about the first baby, he was prob just weaker. Mine was smaller also but then again I have had some small ones grow up to be big chickens. lol I think that that is also God's way of deciding the strong will survive and the weak ones may not all the time.

I hope your babies continue to grow and Lucy takes extra special care of them and if not then you can be momma. I love having babies inside but I think it is amazing that the Mommas are so wonderful.

Let her do her thing...the chick that died would have probably died with or without your intervention. Trust me...the hen will usually do a better job than we can.

Back
Top Bottom