Lucy on the Porch with Eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JackieK318, Feb 15, 2008.

1. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    On Wednesday, I come home from work to see Black Hen and Sicily on the trash cans. The windows and doors on the coop are shut. The guineas, being the rocket scientists that they are, opened a window sometime during the day and it apparently blew shut. I have one window wedged shut with shims since the hook and eye doesn't keep it tight enough. So, everyone got out sometime during the day and had been in the freezing cold ever since without food and water.

I hold out my arm and Black Hen and Sicily climb on. I get them in. I find Red Hen in her wheel under the deck - she was so cold, but mustered up enough energy to lay me a present. The dumb guineas who started this are under the deck and won't come out. The slept outside. I still, after an hour of looking, couldn't find Lucy.

I went in, ate and went to the store. Came home, called Lucy. Walked the dogs, called Lucy. Nothing. Thursday morning I looked out the window. No Lucy.

This morning, Friday, I'm convinced she's gone. Last night I accepted the fact. I go to the coop, feed and water everyone. I come back up the deck steps to hear "bawwwwwwk". There is Lucy! At first I thought I lost it, I admit, seeing dead chickens?! But there she was, ruffled feathers and running toward me. I got her in and she ate and drank just fine. I went in to grab some scraps for everyone, and she laid me an egg. Poor Lucy! I wonder where she had been!

Thank goodness she came home! She my daughter's buddy and I don't know who else would cross the road with me to get the mail as well as Lucy does.

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Yay! Glad you found her, or she found you. Always good to hear happy stories.

3. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Hey Jackie! I'm so glad that Lucy is ok. Our feathered friends can be so silly. Maybe she has a nest hidden somewhere. Have a great day! [​IMG]

4. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Hi Kim!!!

I hope she does. I would be terribly excited. I have to go around the property this spring when it gets warmer and pick up rotten eggs before the heat makes them smelly! Then I can trust the eggs I find in the yard are fresh. That's always my fear with them free ranging.

I'm going to build a pen this spring before I put the chicks in the coop. I can't risk any more flock loss. I get so stressed out and worried when I lose a chicken, especially my Lucy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by