Lucy the roo- Part 2 *Long-ish*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MaggieRae, Nov 1, 2009.

1. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    If you've been following my rooster issues, then you know he's started crowing. If you haven't and would like to help me, here's the link-

Help me keep my roo link

So Lucy started crowing. It started out as no more than 3 times a week. Last weekend, it was 10 times in the morning. I can deal with that as dad sleeps in during the weekends and when he doesn't he's going hunting and is long gone by the time Lucy wakes up.
    This morning, anyone want to guess? 47 times. TOO much. My neighbor works nights and gets home around 2 or 3 in the morning then sleeps during the day. He's crowing around 6. He's not that loud, we're about the same distance and we can barely hear him in the house. But we don't want him waking her up. He crows, I go and get him, and he and I watch the news in the rocker on our front porch. This is the only way I can keep him quiet. If I put him back, he crows louder. And I can't have him crowing so much.

When I'm talking to my dad (who just doesn't want to upset the neighbors), I'm sad because of the trouble this baby roo is causing. And I wonder if I should just get rid of him. But then when I'm in the coop playing with my chickens and he's just so sweet and fun, I know I can't get rid of him. *All my chickens are just pure awesome-ness, but Lucy is the one in danger, so I'll do my best not to go off about the other hens and their own sweetness* I also like the idea of flock protection and fertile eggs *My science teacher from last year found out I have a roo and asked if she could hatch some eggs once the hens start laying*.

What I don't like is Lucy chasing the hens. He's picked my smallest, sweetest hen *Not to mention my mother's favorite* to try and mount. She's less than half his size and squeals. Mom is not happy about this at all.

So here's my question- Will Lucy grow out of this crowing? I've heard that when roos first start to crow, they'll crow a lot more than they will in the future once they get the hang of it. Is this true? If so, what's the difference in crowing? Is it obvious? How long until he crows less?

And if you know anything about egg laying and comb color- please help here-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=262697

Thank you so much for reading and helping me! I know it's long...

2. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    No one? [​IMG]

3. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    Unfortunately, it just depends on the rooster. Some roosters crow a lot in the morning and then stop, some crow all the time, some hardly at all. Also, even if yours starts to crow a little bit less, he might get louder. We have three roosters, and all have gotten louder as they have aged.

I agree with your dad about the neighbors. I know what it's like to have inconsiderate neighbors, and I would never want to be one of those. As much as I love our roosters, if I found out they were really disturbing the neighbors, they would have to go.

We also have a neighbor who works at night, and so I always check to make sure that our roosters are not waking him up when he sleeps during the day.

4. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Oh, the rooster conundrum!!! My roo was late at crowing but now crows sometimes 3 -4 times and in one hour then for five hours I'll hear nothing. When my rooster first reached sexual maturity he became somewhat mean, crowed alot and mounted the hens alot. SOme get this way around that time. But mine calmed down after a few weeks. I have a VERY CRANKY NEIGHBOR, she loves to complain and fuss at everyone. She is a royal PAIN.[​IMG] So as far as your dilemma I understand. I would keep him, unless of course parents say no, and see if there is a problem. You may be surprised, no one may complain. If someone does deal with it then. That's what I'd do.

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    mine crow just about non stop all day long.. and they are loud.. i am glad i have no close neighbors. good luck to you

6. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:I've checked with our other neighbors, and none really seem to mind.
    But there's one who works nights so I never know an appropriate time to go and talk to her. Every time I've walked over there and knocked *at varying times*, no one answered although the car was in the drive. I just assumed she was asleep. I did the next best thing and wrote a note and taped it to her door. I figure I'll let her come to me when she has time rather than bother her all the time. It's rather impersonal, but it will have to do.
    The great news is, our really cranky, old neighbors, tend to be earlier risers(not as early as us [​IMG]) and live at the opposite end of the property. [​IMG]

7. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    Quote:It is a very responsible of you to check with everyone. [​IMG] It is always better to reach out and try to head off any problems than to wait until things get bad. As many people here will tell you, giving out a few eggs can also go a long way toward keeping everyone in the neighborhood happy.

8. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I will attempt bribery once I have some eggs. [​IMG] And hope that's enough. [​IMG] I'm going to see if she had anything to say this weekend, I'd assume she'd talk to my neighbor about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by