Lucy

Nursepine

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2017
One of my chickens for no apparent reason just died. She laid an egg for me yesterday and was out this morning and i just found her dead.
The other 3 birds are fine walking around doing the normal business.
Does this happen? Is there anything I should worry about?

It happens. Worry? Maybe, maybe not.
Is it hot there? Heat kills.
What state are you in? I can give you contact info on your state poultry diagnostic lab. The only way to know if you should worry is to have a necropsy read on the dead bird. Double bag it and refrigerate it till you know how to proceed.

Sorry for your loss. How old was she? What type of set-up do you have for your chickens? Is there a lot of room, shade, a couple of water and feed stations? I would get a necropsy if possible, and if not, try to do one yourself and then take pictures of her organs. Certain problems, such as egg binding, internal laying, liver disease, crop or gizzard blockage, kidney disease (gout,) and some intestinal conditions may be easy to identify. I have lost chickens in their first year, and it might have been hesrt related.

It happens. Worry? Maybe, maybe not.
Is it hot there? Heat kills.
What state are you in? I can give you contact info on your state poultry diagnostic lab. The only way to know if you should worry is to have a necropsy read on the dead bird. Double bag it and refrigerate it till you know how to proceed.
It is very hot and humid here bit it has been for sbout 2 weeks and it hasnt been an issue. They have a whole row of trees they hang out in all day ehen sun is out ans they hise behund ny shed till around 2 in the afternoon. I live in queens new york.
They have 2 water bowls by there coup and I in the center of the lawn.
We chsnge it in the after noon for new water. I have a qustjon if the eater gets too warm will that hurt them or prevent them from drinking it?
Thanks for the quick reply

Sorry for your loss. How old was she? What type of set-up do you have for your chickens? Is there a lot of room, shade, a couple of water and feed stations? I would get a necropsy if possible, and if not, try to do one yourself and then take pictures of her organs. Certain problems, such as egg binding, internal laying, liver disease, crop or gizzard blockage, kidney disease (gout,) and some intestinal conditions may be easy to identify. I have lost chickens in their first year, and it might have been hesrt related.
She was just over a year and she went into a broody mood about a month or so ago which she did come out of.
I feel there is plent of share but they love to roam around the yard and that is sunny most of the day. They hide or the bushes and behind the shed and sit under the chairs for shade. I will put out extra food and water stations around and make sure a couple are in the shaded areas.
Thanks for your help. So interesting that she ran out of the pen with the rest of the girls and had her morning treat of mealy worms and was wondering all around the yard and all was fine then boom.

Being broody for weeks can take a toll on hens. Half of my hens go broody in summertime, and I break them right away if I don’t want chicks.

But I have had the same happen to a couple of pullets and hens who were not broody that died suddenly. They may have had subtle signs that I didn’t notice, because my flock was much larger before I downsized. I have always watched them every day for some time each day, but I have not handled them much since they are normally not comfortable being touched. Over the years I can spot some common signs that they may be getting sick. But it can be common in a few chickens about the time they start to lay to suddenly die from heart failure.

I actually had this happen a few weeks ago with one of my young, very healthy hens. Saw her the night before and she went into the coop with the others, but the next morning I came out (they sleep in an enclosed run, but I keep the coop door open in the summer to help it stay cool - nothing can get in to them) and everyone was out in the run and she was on the ground.
I think she broke her neck - maybe got startled and hit the wall of the coop or the run at the wrong angle.
I wouldn't have thought it possible had I not been at my parents several years ago and witnessed this exact thing...

It is very hot and humid here bit it has been for sbout 2 weeks and it hasnt been an issue. They have a whole row of trees they hang out in all day ehen sun is out ans they hise behund ny shed till around 2 in the afternoon. I live in queens new york.
They have 2 water bowls by there coup and I in the center of the lawn.
We chsnge it in the after noon for new water. I have a qustjon if the eater gets too warm will that hurt them or prevent them from drinking it?
Thanks for the quick reply
If the water is too warm, they won't drink it.
The heat effect is cumulative. Several days of excessive heat suddenly takes its toll.
Here is the info on your excellent poultry lab at Cornell.
Animal Health Diagnostic Center
College of Vet Med, Cornell University
240 Farrier Road
Ithaca, New York 14853-8002
Phone: 607-253-3900

Back
Top Bottom