lucye

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lucye, Nov 8, 2013.

1. lucye

lucye New Egg

Nov 8, 2013
    Hi everyone,

We got our girls in the summer, never had chooks before, but we love them to bits. My children let them free range when they get in from school and then lock them in the coop at 5.30 for the night. 3 days a week they free range all day when we are at home. Last night we couldn't find my daughter's chicken, the other 2 were in bed. It was only 5.30 & my daughter had been feeding them at 4.30. We found our lovely Amber chicken killed by a fox. We are all very upset.
    The other 2 girls have stayed in their nest box all day and don't seem to have ate much at all. They couldn't be coaxed into the garden. Are they in shock? Any advice about what to do, would be appreciated.

2. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    The loss of a flock mate can be upsetting to chickens, Out food and water close to them and give them a couple days.

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Shock is a good word, fear would also be appropriate. Since Foxy now knows where he can get a free chicken dinner, I would suggest keeping the girls penned for a few days. Are you able to fence off an area where they can free-range safely?? If not, I'm afraid the free-ranging is going to have to be supervised either by the kids or you.
    When I first started free-ranging my girls, it was supervised only. We did have a couple of foxes cruise by but the dogs chased them off. If you have dogs that you can trust with the chicks, they'll do a nice job of keeping predators away.
    Sorry about your chook - it's always sad to lose one, Sue [​IMG]

4. SILKIEOBESSESED

SILKIEOBESSESED Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    fl
    yes, do this and .....[​IMG]

5. lucye

lucye New Egg

Nov 8, 2013
    Thanks for the advice Sue. Yes, we'll keep them penned for a while. My husband is building a large walk in run as we don't want this happening again.

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Sorry for your loss :(

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Sorry about the loss of your girl.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. lucye

lucye New Egg

Nov 8, 2013
    Thanks for your warm welcomes everyone. We are in South East, England & it gets dark early now over here.Our two girls are fine today, eating and back to normal. We'll get more girls when the large roofed run my husband is building is finished. We are on the outskirts of town with a high urban fox population.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by