Lucy's nasty bubbly foamy eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mr Bojangles, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Mr Bojangles

Mr Bojangles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    Sturgis, KY
    I guess I'm going to have to kill my flock of 14. Being new, I collected birds from 4 different places and threw them together over 4 months. Didn't quarantine them. Started with 1 a while back. Swollen bubbly eye. Then 1 with runny nose and bubbly eyes. Then 2 that were hacking and rattling breathing. Now poor Lucy has this. Noticed a few others sneezing. Tried tylan 50 on one. Tried oxytetracycline with the whole flock. They keep getting sick. Any ideas be great. Id hate to kill them but... I plan on ordering new chicks in the spring and don't want to get them sick. Start fresh. What do y'all think? everybody seems to be laying drinking and eating normally [​IMG]

2. Mr Bojangles

Mr Bojangles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    Sturgis, KY
    [​IMG]

3. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    I know that the new "flu" can effect avian so if you or someone else in contact with them has had the flu it's a very good chance they could too. And you. Wash your hands whenever you handle them or there area. If you can i would get a stockpile of pet cages or something to individualy contain them so they are not constantly reinfecting eachother. Feed them suppliments that help with ilness such as garlic, black seed oil, Apple cider vinegar, and lots of protien. Poor lil girls /:

4. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    there aren't really anti virus meds for chickens but honey can help and garlic. Get some raw unfiltered honey from wholefoods or somewhere like it and mix 1/4 cup per gallon of water or like 1tbs per 14 oz and mix well and give to them to drink.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some of your symptoms sound like MG (mycoplasma.) Do you notice a bad smell that could be coryza? MG is best treated with Tylan 50 injectable. Testing a few of them or getting a necropsy done by your state vet would tell you what disease you are dealing with. Whatever the respiratory disease, they usually make carriers of the whole flock and would affect new chicks. Culling all birds, cleaning and disinfection of the coop and equipment, then waiting a few months would get rid of the disease. It's too bad that you are having to deal with this. I can't imagine having to cull my flock, but I wouldn't get new chickens if I chose to treat them. Here is some reading about MG and other diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034
    http://umaine.edu/livestock/poultry/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-faq/

6. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Try benadryl. It's possible they are "allergic" to something. Just don't bring in or take out any more birds at all

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by