Lump? Cyst?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flutedog, Mar 12, 2017.

1. flutedog

flutedog New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Has anyone come across a lump like this one please? The chicken is a 1 year old Rhode Island Red, healthy and happy until I saw that someone had been bleeding at night when roosting. Inspected and found this lump. She is eating, laying, and behaving completely normally. I've washed round the wound, and the dirtied feathers with Hibiscrub and put wound dressing powder on it to try and help it scab over. Should I ask the vet to remove it?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be a benign vascular growth such as a pyogenic granuloma, an inflammatory lesion that shows up suddenly. It also could be a mailgnancy. I would ask your vet about it, to possibly remove it. They may want to send a tissue sample off for cytology or pathology, which would cost you a lot more, so I would refuse that part. If it is cancer, there wouldn't be much more they could do anyway. If it doesn't come back, then it most likely was benign.I haven't ever seen any pictures of those on a chicken before. It may bleed if the other chickens peck at it, so I would keep it covered or keep her separated. Perhaps you could put her in a crate with food and water inside the coop with the other chickens, so she remains part of the flock.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How is your chicken doing today? Has there been any more bleeding? If a vet is not possible, I would just watch the sore. Can you see the spot if her feathers cover it? And, welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by