Lump found under earlobe area

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lrowe, Jan 19, 2009.

1. lrowe

lrowe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    I am new to chick raising. My 15 girls are 7 months old, laying and happy. They have a walk in coop with plenty of room and have a large free range area. I just noticed today, one of my girls has a red lump on her right side of her neck just below the ear area. Any ideas??? I have been searching all of the illness and disorders bur can't find anything. No coughing, sneezing, or other problems. Eyes are bright, eating and drinking.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    If she is missing feathers from the area it may just be that someone is picking on her. Then some blue coat or red pepper sauce applied to area would work.

Is it swollen and hot? How large? Is it hard or soft?

3. lrowe

lrowe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    [​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

Here are pics of the right lump side and left normal side. The lump is not hot. It is soft.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    In that case I would isolate her from the rest of your chickens.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    It is very hard to say what it is, but it looks like an infection to me. But you say it is not hot? IMO I would isolate her and watch her. If she shows anymore signs within the next 24 hours there might be a clue to what is wrong.

Could she have gotten bitten by a bee? Or other insect? That happened to one of my roos once and it was swollen for a few days. Boy was I worried too. It did go down though eventually.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  6. dottie1111

dottie1111 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    california
    One of my Barred Rock had a cyst under earlobe was a Bacterial Infection My Vet gave her a shot of antibiotics I cleared up and was gone with in a week I dont know if yours is the same but this should be checked out Thanks:D

7. lrowe

lrowe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    I took my chickie today to the vet. The lump was an abscess of the right lower waddle. He aspirated and biopsied. Nothing contagious. No other chickens having any problems. Don't know what caused it.

Gave me antibiotics to give her 2 times a day for 10 days. Since all of my hens are laying, he said to keep her separated from other hens from now until 3 weeks after meds.

I have her separated, but I can not realistically continue this schedule with all of my other animals and especially family members to take care of. I hate to even think about it, but she may be the first of my flock to be culled.

Happy it is nothing contagious, but still very sad.

8. abailey

abailey New Egg

Aug 1, 2009
    Hi

I've got a similar problem with one of my hens (she's an 18 month old Cochin), within the last 24hrs she's developed a lump on her left earlobe that hangs down like an abscess (approx the size of a ten pence piece)

Can anyone suggest what i'm best to do, i'm thinking if it doesn't improve i'll take her to the vets but wondered if anyone has any possible solutions.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Aimee

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    abailey,

If you're willing and able, you can try to drain the suspected abcess. Use sterile tools (blade, needle, gloves, etc). Google "drain abscess" and follow those directions. (warning - gross pics)

10. abailey

abailey New Egg

Aug 1, 2009
    Ummm i've got to honest, i don't think I could do it. I'm afraid i'll cause her more harm that good.

If it isn't any better by tomorrow night I might consider it.

thanks for you advise JennsPeeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by