lump in breast of chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ellie, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    It is probably silly, but what is the movable lump in the right side of the breast of the chicks? Most all of them have it but a few don't.

What is it?

They have been outside twice and I let them eat grass... do I have to give them grit? They only eat medicated feed other than those two times.

Thanks,
    Ellie

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    You mean on their necks, towards the front, where the 'adam's apple' would be on a person? If so, that's the crop - where the food goes first to be partially ground up and digestion started.

You'll notice when they've eaten a lot, the crop will fill, and then you'll notice it smaller as that food is moved further down into the digestive tract.

Susan

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is their crop where they digest their food. It's normal. And yes, they need grit if they eat anything except their starter feed. Fine chick grit, not the big stuff. Just don't let a feedstore sell you oyster shell and tell you it's grit-that seems to be a common thing, unfortunately.

4. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Our sandy soil seems to do just fine with our little ones, I'm guessing it is as good as grit - we're in the sandhills of Nebraska - so when they're picking around outside, they get enough.
    I've seen the big fat crop - but it goes down soon enough, when they wake in the am they're flat chested [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by