lump in chcks neck? and Sexing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by twilight, Aug 7, 2009.

1. twilight

twilight In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    i have 3 chicks, pekin bantams all 3 weeks old this sat and sun, all seem healthy are eating well, drinking plenty, pooping fine and chirping lots. They are starting to get some little feathers and ther bodies are changing. they are being raised by a mother hen who seems very happy and able in her duties.
    My question is that they all seem to have lumps in their necks. Now i'm a first timer so i have no experience in raising chicks. The lump feel soft not hard at all, they don't seem distressed or in pain when i touch them there. Is this just their natural shape? They are as i said all fine and happy. It just looks wierd and i don't want to miss a problem and not baable to help them.

I have 6 photos of the 3 chicks two of each. Also if you are able to help with sexing, i presume it's a bit early but the black one "scrunch" Seem to have practicaly no comb whereas the to light coloured ones look very much the ssame in that area. It's just our hen are pets, we have 3 children and it's imporant that should we have to part with any that the children are prepared as much in advance as possible. I am always reminding them that they could be boys and we can't keep any boys. We live in the city of nottingham in england and are NOT allowed roosters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. twilight

twilight In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    sorry some of the pictures are smaller i'm only just getting the hang of how to do things;)

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    The lumps are their crops--that's where they store their food. big crops mean they are eating well. Soft is a good thing.

Can't help with the sexing.
    Enjoy your chickies!

4. obe10

obe10 Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    they look very heathy maybe what your describing as a lump is there crop. i don't know. a picture of the lump itself would help.

5. twilight

twilight In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    feeeeeeeeew!
    Thanks for that, i knew the word "crop" but couldn't remember when posting.
    Is it something that will change dependant on how much they have eaten? For example will it appear smaller in the mornings?

6. obe10

obe10 Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    yes it is just like a human stomach when you eat your stomach gets bigger ext...

7. twilight

twilight In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    using my phone camera at the mo and when i tryed to take a close up it just looked blurey.
    feel better already, as i said they are very happy active little things, it just looked a bit weird and i was a little concerned, it's just inexperience!

8. max101

max101 Songster

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    Pekin chickens are cute. The boys generally show the redness round the face first with longer wattles. The girls comb is smaller and colouring comes in later. I cant see any redness in the photos you maybe lucky and have all girls. I have 2 - 3 week old pekins and the boy is bigger and redder than the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: