Lump in chest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hawk, Sep 12, 2009.

1. hawk

hawk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Rhode Island Red hen, 4 1/2 months old has very noticeable swollen spot on right side of chest, feels like possibly stomach is full, not digesting? don't know what poop looks like( runny or hard) what do I do? and is it normal for chickens to have tan colored runny poop?

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    That's just her crop. They use it to store food before it gets digested. Nothing to worry about unless it gets compacted. Check again in the morning and it should be empty. If not, then you have a problem.

3. hawk

hawk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    thanks for the fast reply, I'll check her in the morning, thank you!

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, it's fine. In the spring when they first started getting out, and made piggies of themselves, one of mine stuffed herself too much, and in the morning she still had a partially full crop and was very droopy and miserable. A little massage and offering her some yogurt with oil mixed in (blech I know but she ate a few bits) with some more massaging, got things under control.

Poop issues depend on if it's just one poo or several in a row, it could be cecal poo which she'll pass about once a week or so, or it could be her diet if she's free ranging and eating berries and such.

5. hawk

hawk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    very good, I don't know what i'd do without this site. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by