lump in chicks throat.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kilrspd, Jan 25, 2014.

1. kilrspd

kilrspd New Egg

Jan 25, 2014
    hi im new here and to raising chickens so here's my question: What is the lump in the chicks throat it feels like a bean bag, it keeps getting bigger and harder the more it eats. is it harmful? if so what do i do to get it to go away? the chick is drinking and pooping good and eating everything it can swallow. I'm fairly new to raising chickens but my Wife and I are trying to start a farm so we dont have to buy food. so, this is important to me to figure out.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] give me a min. please. [​IMG][​IMG] ok, im alright now. your chicken is perfectly healthy. what you are feeling is its crop. its where the food goes after it eats and is stored there until it is needed. the lumpy things you are feeling is what ever you are feeding it.

3. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Welcome to BYC!!! Good for you and your wife kilrspd. You are doing a great thing in trying to be more self-sufficient. :) Granny Hatchet is right, it is just the crop. Nothing at all to worry about, perfectly normal. You might want to pick up a copy of the "Storey's" guide to chickens. It is about the best book out there right now on chickens. Hopefully better books will come along. Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by