lump jaw anyone? pictures added!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by americana-chick, Jul 31, 2008.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    does anyone have problems with lump jaw in there cows? here are some pics! sorry they arent the greatest! the calf wouldnt stay still [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    With lumpy jaw you really need to call a vet as its something they need to tend to. Usually it isnt good and very hard to cure. I have only seen 1 case and it wasnt good. Good luck

3. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    i already know that silly! i was posting this for other people! and yes i also know it can be bad but usually not deathly! we have 3 beef cows in seperate pinand there lumpjaw is almost completely gone. we just have to get the vet to come and drain it out and put iadine in it to completely cure

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I showed a feeder calf at the fair once that had suffered from lump jaw in the past. His name was Lumpy [​IMG] and he got Reserved Champion [​IMG] I don't know the details but I don't think its deadly. Just make sure it has proper care [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Yup just make sure you get it looked at just to be safe

so nothing bad happens to that CUTENESS! baby [​IMG]

6. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

"Lumpy Jaw" is a bone condition (and serious), "Bottle Jaw" is a soft-tissue swelling and is also reason for concern. I'd have a vet or other cattle-knowledgeable person look at it, just to be safe!
    Good luck!

7. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    i alredy know how to handle lumpjaw! like i said befor i posted this for other people!

8. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Since a lot of people post when they have a problem asking for information on how to solve the problem, you might want to make it clear that you are posting it as an informational post in your first post. I know nothing about cows, but I sure wanted to help you when I saw your initial post, so just a thought on wording that first post so people know you want to show them what it looks like rather than that you want help with how to solve it. Just an idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by