Lump on 2 week old chicks head

MissBrazo

Hatching
Apr 2, 2023
Hello all,
I have a 10 day old speckled sussex chick with a lump on her head. It appears soft, not pus, and seems to be causing symptoms of wry neck. Her sissies are definitely treating her different, occasionally pecking her… :-( so its grown in the past few days. I’m now equipped to isolate her and have applied “Stop Pick” to the spot to prevent more pecking… is this something that will resolve with giving her a break from the flock?
Any advice would mean a lot!
-Julie

Attachments

• ACF66CB0-32E8-44B1-87FC-EAE109981CC9.jpeg
    ACF66CB0-32E8-44B1-87FC-EAE109981CC9.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 14
I should add that she’s mostly given up on food/water so I’ve been helping her out with hydration…

Possible some kind of growth ... Why are you suspecting Wry Neck?
Wondering if it's an abscess?

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/wry-neck

She may have stopped eating cause separated from the rest. IF you have a clear plastic container that you can put her in, put it in with the rest may help her not feeling isolated. You can try wetting her feed, making a mash & add a boiled egg yolk, that may entice her to eat. Another idea is if you could section of part of the brooder with wire, so she's protected and still with the others.

She may have stopped eating cause separated from the rest. IF you have a clear plastic container that you can put her in, put it in with the rest may help her not feeling isolated. You can try wetting her feed, making a mash & add a boiled egg yolk, that may entice her to eat. Another idea is if you could section of part of the brooder with wire, so she's protected and still with the others.

I haven’t separated her yet. Hoping the anti-peck stuff on the lump will help with that… I’ve been making a slurry with egg yolk and syringing it to her.
I was thinking the lump is causing some wry neck symptoms… but I definitely could be wrong. There is definitely some bullying happening though… so I feel like the abscess is due to that?
Thanks for your feedback!

That's my thought, it's possible an abscess caused by someone pecked her head. Be very careful syringe feeding, they aspirate easy. Wry Neck is a Vitamin E deficiency, and since you now see bullying, I'm thinking abscess.

Let me tag someone I know is on and may give better insight @Kiki

Thank you. Yes I’m suspecting an abscess too. She otherwise seems fairly perky, not listless…

Back
Top Bottom