1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lump on a new chicks neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sclanimals, Mar 16, 2008.

1. sclanimals

sclanimals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    Utah
    One of my silkies just hatched and it has a huge lump on the top of it's neck about the same size as it's head. The lump sits right behind the skull. The lump feels firm and doesn't seem to cause pain when touched. Also, the same chick keeps trying to flip over backwards. The chick has high energy and seems normal except for that. Please help me! I don't have a working camera to take a pic with, sorry.

2. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I had one hatch yesterday with a lump or mass near the base of it's head and it looked really weird - however - today I don't know which chick it was!!!! It's gone, zip!!![​IMG]

Must of been how it was in the shell - it was a large chick for a banty. [​IMG]

3. sclanimals

May 31, 2007
    Utah
    Good to know. It's not trying to flip over now. I hope it just goes away [​IMG]

4. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Sorry, my point was, give it a little time. I am not saying that will take care of it, but in my case it did! Mine also would flip over backward yesterday, but its one of 8 black chicks that have hatched out in the last two days. Good luck!!!![​IMG]

5. sclanimals

May 31, 2007
    Utah
    Thank you.

6. sclanimals

May 31, 2007
    Utah
    Well, the bump has gone down and is almost gone now. Weird stuff I tell ya!

7. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    its probably residual fluid from the incubation process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by