1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Lump on back of hen's leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cassparkboo, Nov 9, 2015.

1. cassparkboo

cassparkboo New Egg

Nov 9, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    My hen has a lump on the back of her left leg. Just above her foot. She is eating and acting normal, besides the fact that she is in the midst of her first molt. Can anyone help with identifying the possibilities of what this is? Thank you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

Are you speaking of what all hens have, the beginnings of a tiny spur? All hens have them and are just above the foot joint on each leg. They are like a tiny hard bump.

If you think this is something else, you can always post a picture her for us to see.

So glad you could join our community! :)

3. cassparkboo

cassparkboo New Egg

Nov 9, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you for your reply. I have added a couple pics in hopes that they help.

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thank you for uploading pics!

That is not the hens spurs. Looks like it could be an infection from injury or possibly from something she roosts on at night and irritates this part of her leg?? Maybe even infection from leg scale mites??

@Eggcessive or @casportpony do you have any ideas?

5. cassparkboo

cassparkboo New Egg

Nov 9, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    So what do you think I should do about the lump? She doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all.

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is it warm or red at all? Does it keep growing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by