Lump on back of leg please help!

ashlierami

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
I have a female quail that has been limping for a few days. Upon inspection she has a lump on her leg. She eats,drink, mates, and it laying eggs daily. What could this be? I understand this isn't where quail postings go but I never get much response or help when I do post on the quail thread. I thought maybe this is something someone has dealt with on a chicken or something and can help. I've included a picture. Excuse her poopy feet she ran right into it as I caught her.
IMG_20180212_130547933.jpg

@TwoCrows @Eggcessive any ideas?

I don't know much of anything about Quail.

I know it's hard to take a photo and hold a bird at the same time - do you have a helper that can hold her so we can see the leg a bit better?

Hopefully the others will chime in, while we wait, I'm going to ask some questions:)
Does the joint feel fluid filled, hard, etc.?
What treatment(s) have you tried so far?
How old is she?

I know it's hard to take a photo and hold a bird at the same time - do you have a helper that can hold her so we can see the leg a bit better?

Hopefully the others will chime in, while we wait, I'm going to ask some questions:)
How old is she?

How old is she?
Thank you so much for responding! It feels hard and when I touch it I can't tell if there's fluid or not. It doesn't seem to cause her pain. I also was afraid she has scaly leg due to someone else telling me her scales look dirty and as if she does have that. Yesterday I made her a warm bath with Epsom salt and washed her legs that's why her feathers look funny around her legs. I then applied a bandage I come up with that had antibiotic ointment on it. I don't know what else to do. My quails are inside birds so I have never had an issue with anything or any sickness. She will be 2 years old this June. I also applied Vaseline to her legs since I was advised she appears to have scaly leg. None of my other quails have this and their legs look fine. I checked everyone else yesterday for blisters and they have none.
IMG_20180213_064351753.jpg
IMG_20180213_064347656.jpg
IMG_20180213_064339463.jpg
IMG_20180213_064137800.jpg
IMG_20180213_064130131.jpg

Thank you so much for responding! It feels hard and when I touch it I can't tell if there's fluid or not. It doesn't seem to cause her pain. I also was afraid she has scaly leg due to someone else telling me her scales look dirty and as if she does have that. Yesterday I made her a warm bath with Epsom salt and washed her legs that's why her feathers look funny around her legs. I then applied a bandage I come up with that had antibiotic ointment on it. I don't know what else to do. My quails are inside birds so I have never had an issue with anything or any sickness. She will be 2 years old this June. I also applied Vaseline to her legs since I was advised she appears to have scaly leg. None of my other quails have this and their legs look fine. I checked everyone else yesterday for blisters and they have none. View attachment 1263763 View attachment 1263764 View attachment 1263765 View attachment 1263766 View attachment 1263767
IMG_20180213_065246312.jpg

Thank you for posting more photos:)

Does the leg seem swollen or raw on the thigh too? (see red circle on photo)
Have your quail ever had any respiratory illness?

The soaking and application a triple antibiotic ointment won't hurt. @Eggcessive knows more about abscesses vs cysts than I ever will. It almost looks fluid filled, but it's so hard to know.

She does look to have a few raised scales that could be Scaly Leg Mite. The soaking and application of vaseline or even triple antibiotic ointment should help with those. The purpose of vaseline (oil/ointment) is to smother the mites.

upload_2018-2-13_8-2-39.png

I don't know quail, but that joint looks infected. See how the entire thigh is redder than the other one? Compare her leg/feed color to one of your other birds. I'm wondering about her left leg as well. I don't see signs of scaly leg mites, but if you were dealing with that, you would need to follow the epsom salt wash with a nice covering of oil to the entire length of her legs.

Oh gosh, I'm sorry about your quail!

I am not sure what this is. Does the bird sleep on wire? Her hock may be becoming very irritated from laying on it. If you think this is the case, you might get her on bedding.

Also, if she had a poke or cut and it got infected, it would blister and get irritated by wire floors.

Do not try and drain this, no doubt antibiotics are needed. Penicillin of some sort.

I am going to move this over to our quail section. Someone over there must have seen this before.

Good luck with her! :)

Thank you for posting more photos:)

Does the leg seem swollen or raw on the thigh too? (see red circle on photo)
Have your quail ever had any respiratory illness?

The soaking and application a triple antibiotic ointment won't hurt. @Eggcessive knows more about abscesses vs cysts than I ever will. It almost looks fluid filled, but it's so hard to know.

She does look to have a few raised scales that could be Scaly Leg Mite. The soaking and application of vaseline or even triple antibiotic ointment should help with those. The purpose of vaseline (oil/ointment) is to smother the mites.

View attachment 1263774
Her legs appear to be the same size. I just soaked her so I have new photos. She is wet so it gives a better look under her feathers. I haven't had any respiratory illness and my other birds seem to be fine . She acts the same just she has the limp and lump on her leg.
IMG_20180213_080133636.jpg
IMG_20180213_075940142.jpg
IMG_20180213_075752987.jpg
IMG_20180213_075733226.jpg
IMG_20180213_075727980.jpg
IMG_20180213_075719961.jpg

Oh gosh, I'm sorry about your quail!

I am not sure what this is. Does the bird sleep on wire? Her hock may be becoming very irritated from laying on it. If you think this is the case, you might get her on bedding.

Also, if she had a poke or cut and it got infected, it would blister and get irritated by wire floors.

Do not try and drain this, no doubt antibiotics are needed. Penicillin of some sort.

I am going to move this over to our quail section. Someone over there must have seen this before.

Good luck with her! :)
No she has bedding that I change out and maybe she got a cut or something from me taking her outside. I have an outside cage I take them out to when the weather is nice but it also is bedding. I never noticed any bleeding from a cut or scrape and she is heavy so she's not one to fly up. If she does fly up she doesn't get an inch off the ground. She lays daily and doesn't seem to have any other issues. What medication would I need to get for her? I no longer ask the employees at farm supply stores due to lack of knowledge even tho they say they are there to help. I have been wrongly advised many times so I do not ask them. I always rely on byc. Thank you for the well wishes I also desperate to help her she is my baby.

Back
Top Bottom