lump on chest!!!!!! please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MEchickenfarmer33, Dec 8, 2011.

1. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    i just noticed today that one of my 18 week old chicks had a viably large bump right where her right wing meets her breast. i picked her up and started feeling the large bump. I noticed that when i pushed on it it sunk in and then expanded back out. She is still growing some feathers in this area. Also none of the other chickens have this on them. So is this something I should be concerned with or is it just the cartilage from all the new forming feathers? Any answers will be appreciated. Please help!!!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Is it her crop?

3. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    no its where her right wing meets her breast. its visible from the front of her if shes standing straight on.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Most likely her crop. I remember the first time I noticed one of mine with a super full crop. I about fell apart because I thought he had cancer. [​IMG] OP- Check the "lump" again after the bird has has not eaten for a while. If it is gone, it is just the crop. [​IMG]

5. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:Most likely her crop. I remember the first time I noticed one of mine with a super full crop. I about fell apart because I thought he had cancer. [​IMG] OP- Check the "lump" again after the bird has has not eaten for a while. If it is gone, it is just the crop. [​IMG]

its not in the crop

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida

its not in the crop

Can you post a pic?

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Suggestion: edit your title to what the problem is - you'll likely get more feedback. (Maybe: Lump on chest - not crop - need feedback!)

8. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    no it takes 6 hours to upload a pic to my computer. if you are looking at her straight on. its on where her left wing meets her body. so where the wing connects to the body. its right next to the wing bone.

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Did you part the feathers? What do you see? HOw large is it (in comparison to, say, a coin)? Is it red, do you see a puncture on it? Is she picking at it?

10. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    i made a new post and shes all better now!! thanks guys for all your help!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by