Lump on chicken beak

afreer99

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2022
Ok so I have about 20 chickens, before we go coup fixed I had a racoon get in and killed 5 of my chickens this Rhode island red survived attack and side of face and part of beak broken off it healed and now she has this please help.

Attachments

• 20220810_181459.jpg
    20220810_181459.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 5
Ok so I have about 20 chickens, before we go coup fixed I had a racoon get in and killed 5 of my chickens this Rhode island red survived attack and side of face and part of beak broken off it healed and now she has this please help.
Welcome To BYC

Are there any lesions or pasty material inside her beak?
Where are you located in the world?
Do you have a lot of mosquitoes right now?

To me, it looks like Fowl Pox which is a virus spread by mosquitoes.
If she were mine, I'd paint the lesions on the sides of the beak and on the comb with Iodine to see if that helps them heal and dry up. Watch the lesions near her eyes but I wouldn't touch those unless they start getting bigger and she has trouble seeing. If that happens, then you can apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment on them and in the eye.
Take care not to rub or disturb the scabs and lesions too much, this can cause spread.

See that she's eating/drinking well. Hopefully this will resolve over the course of several weeks.

Welcome To BYC

Are there any lesions or pasty material inside her beak?
Where are you located in the world?
Do you have a lot of mosquitoes right now?

To me, it looks like Fowl Pox which is a virus spread by mosquitoes.
If she were mine, I'd paint the lesions on the sides of the beak and on the comb with Iodine to see if that helps them heal and dry up. Watch the lesions near her eyes but I wouldn't touch those unless they start getting bigger and she has trouble seeing. If that happens, then you can apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment on them and in the eye.
Take care not to rub or disturb the scabs and lesions too much, this can cause spread.

See that she's eating/drinking well. Hopefully this will resolve over the course of several weeks.
Agreed on all points. Are other birds in the flock showing lesions?

Back
Top Bottom