lump on chicken's beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jay85, Jul 18, 2007.

1. jay85

jay85 New Egg

Jul 18, 2007
    Recently I found a lump on the inside of my chicken's lower beak and have no idea what it is, it is very hard and dark. She seems absolutely fine, eating and sleeping well and in no apparent pain. Here's a pic, sorry for the blurriness, can anyone help?

[​IMG]

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    it looks like an abscess of sort (barring any other such boils or blisters on the comb or feet which would indicate pox)... abscess in a bird must be manually removed as it will not be "reabsorbed" into the system such as is the case with mammals... you can coat it with iodine (same thing as what you do with pox lesions)... however this may not (and probably will not) "cure" the lesion and it may even get worse. I would suggest you go to a vet , have it lanced and if necessary he will give you an appropriate antibiotic ....

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    looks like Trichomoniasis(canker) metronidazole is the perferred treatment..this can be obtained at a pigeon supply house or can sometimes be found in the fish department at walmart under the name fishzole..1/2 tablet for 5 days will clear this up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by