Lump on Chicken's Face

HopeMartin

Songster
Jul 9, 2016
Columbia, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
Noticed this lump on her face yesterday. It's firm. Couldn't tell if it's hot (it's very hot outside). Other eye is fine and she's eating, drinking and acting fine otherwise. Haven't seen her poop today though.
Any suggestions on what it could be?
IMG_9761.JPG IMG_9764.JPG
Her eye isn't cloudy at all. The second pic just looks that way.

Thanks in advance!

The second picture looks like you may have just caught her 3 rd eyelid. If it looks and smells as Dawg53 descibes, canker can be treated with Fish Zole (metronidazole, Flagyl) which is available online. Dosage is 250 mg daily for 5 days. Canker is spread by pigeons, and drinking from contaminated water. Here is some info about canker:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/canker

Thanks for the replies everyone! I got some help so I could get a good look. No sores in the mouth and no foul/sour breath. But she's closing that eye more as if she's feeling it today. Stool I think is a bit on the runny side.

They've all (4) had ACV in their water for 2 weeks now. Pretty sure wild birds can't get to it (a hanging nipple waterer inside a hardware cloth enclosed run. I can't free range here, too many predators.

So maybe it is just an infected injury? Been reading the boards here and seen "Oil of Oregano" mentioned. I have some that I use for me, 25% OOO in olive. Works wonders for my atopic eczema but I don't use that straight from the bottle. I dilute one drop of OOO in 10 drops of grapeseed oil. Would that work for Wattles too?

If not that, what do you all recommend? Thanks so much!

The second picture looks like you may have just caught her 3 rd eyelid. If it looks and smells as Dawg53 descibes, canker can be treated with Fish Zole (metronidazole, Flagyl) which is available online. Dosage is 250 mg daily for 5 days. Canker is spread by pigeons, and drinking from contaminated water. Here is some info about canker:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/canker

Ah! That third eyelid. Thanks! Makes sense. I think I have some fish zole on hand actually! Should I try it even if there's no smell or sores in the mouth?

Thanks! Just read through it and that first pic sure looks similar, only worse. Now I'm wondering if I have just caught it before that point.

I can get API General Cure (fish de wormer) locally. Considering how fast canker can go south, I think I'll run and get a box now.

Will I need to toss her eggs while she's being treated?

Haven't been able to get out yet but decided to try the Oil of Oregano (25% Oregano Oil in Olive Oil)... further diluted in more olive... 1 drop OOO to 1/4tsp olive. Used cotton swabs to apply to outside and edge of mouth. She's been such a good girl and very patient with me if wiggly. I think I can see some of that "cheese" mentioned on the inside of the swelling though. So yeah, will be getting some of the API stuff today!

When I let her down I gave them all some meal worms in oats. If nothing else, Wattles still has drive and appetite! She's not the top of the pecking order but she pushes everyone out of the way for mealies. O.O

Just for grins I tried, on my tongue, some of the 25% oregano oil. Yikes! Strong stuff. Can still taste it 30 minutes later. LOL!

Thanks! Just read through it and that first pic sure looks similar, only worse. Now I'm wondering if I have just caught it before that point.

I can get API General Cure (fish de wormer) locally. Considering how fast canker can go south, I think I'll run and get a box now.

Will I need to toss her eggs while she's being treated?

Ack! General cure is not the same completely. It has a second ingredient.

Back
Top Bottom