1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lump on chicks neck

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lrballard, Mar 18, 2016.

1. lrballard

lrballard Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2016
    hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I am first time chicken owner and so excited. I have a black sex link that has a large lump on the left side of her neck. She can't turn her head to the left and walks very uncoordinated like she loses her balance. She's about a week and a half old.

Does anyone have any idea what that is and if I can help her in anyway?

She eats, poops, and drinks just fine. Doesn't seem to be in pain but it's hard to tell.

Thanks
    Lynn

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Perhaps a picture? You can upload a picture by pressing the symbol that looks like a sun over mountains in the post formatting section above the text box.

If the lump were on the chick's *right* side, then it would likely be a normal crop.

Vimatin deficiencies can be common in chicks as a lot depends on what the hen was able to "add" to the egg when it was laid. Adding a vitamin supplement to their water can help correct the most common deficiencies, is easy to do, and won't hurt healthy chicks to consume it too.

3. lrballard

lrballard Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2016
    Hi Jen bill post a pic, good idea. I should have mentioned I add chick boost to their water and I'm a clean freak. You could eat dinner in that brooder!
    Thanks
    Lynn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by