Lump on ducks leg right ABOVE foot - limping badly.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Explorr746, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Explorr746

Explorr746 New Egg

Apr 9, 2017
    My Pekin duck Stella was limping a lot this winter. I took her to the vet and he thought she had arthritis. Gave her some meds (meloxicam) 2 x day. Seemed to help a little for a while. Catching her twice a day though was stressing her out even more than the limping.

I just try to catch her when she's lying down (which is a lot of the time) but as soon as I get near her she will freak out and start flapping her wings and half drag and half fly across the ground just fast enough that it takes a couple of tries to actually get her. I feel so bad doing it to her because I'm afraid that is making her hurt worse :(

Now she's limping really bad and I see a lump on her leg right above her foot. Has anyone ever had this problem to deal with? Any suggestions on a less stressful way to catch her?

2. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Can you post pics of her leg and the lump?

Is she free ranging during the day or in a pen/run? I have a lot easier time catching mine when they already in their pen. If she is free ranging, you might want to consider putting her in a pen/run instead because the walking she is doing, the more she might be hurting her leg.

:welcome

1 person likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2!

4. Explorr746

Explorr746 New Egg

Apr 9, 2017
    Yes, she was free ranging. I probably should have penned her up sooner but I did get her to the vet. He said it was infection (from arthritis?) And he operated and made 2 small incisions and dtained it. I now have to give her antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds 2 X day. This is day 3 and she seems to be walking better and swelling has gone down. She is definitely not liking going out with the others though

5. Explorr746

Explorr746 New Egg

Apr 9, 2017
    I shiuld say she is not liking being left behind...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by