1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lump on EE Hen back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CherohalaKellie, Dec 4, 2013.

1. CherohalaKellie

CherohalaKellie Out Of The Brooder

Hi all!

I am hoping that someone here will have some idea of how to help my little lady.

She was hatched in April and is an EE hen. She may- or may not- be laying.

Today I was out playing with the hens and noticed that Jezz has a lump on her back. On the left side just after her wingtip. She is walking just fine, eating, clucking, acting happy. I felt the area and it feels hard- about the size of a golfball. She did not seem to be in pain when I was feeling it. She has not lost feathers and there was no open wound.

She seem's fine but I am freaked out! I have minimal experience with chickens and have fallen in love with my small flock of 10.

Please help! Has anyone ever seen this before?

Thanks
    Kellie

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you have a rooster? Sometimes healing lesions from rooster damage become hard and lumpy. does there appear to be a scab or necrotic tissue?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be an abscess or a tumor. Pictures always help if you can get one? Did she have a Mareks vaccination? Chickens can get abscesses from a scrape or peck wound that gets infected, and cancers are very common , especially with Mareks disease.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. CherohalaKellie

CherohalaKellie Out Of The Brooder

No Rooster here, so no chance of Rooster Damage.

I am guessing that Tumor = put down or should I just let her live out her life? She doesn't appear to be in pain... Ill try to get a picture- but it just looks like her feathers are buldging up.

Thanks all for your help. I'm all upset here about this.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she is eating, drinking and in apparent good health otherwise, there is absolutely no reason to cull her.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by