1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lump on my duckling's neck. Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SqueakerDuck, Jul 9, 2016.

1. SqueakerDuck

SqueakerDuck New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Indiana
    One of my new welsh ducklings has a lump on its neck. Doesn't look like the crop. It' was eating, breathing and drinking fine yesterday and I saw it drink today, but occasionally I see it mock swallow as if it's uncomfortable, which is understandable. Does anyone know what this is? I've attached a picture. [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I recall answering in another thread.. how are things today?
    @SqueakerDuck

3. SqueakerDuck

SqueakerDuck New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Indiana
    It's gotten a little bigger. She was still eating and drinking last night, but still mock swallowing. :(

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I suspect it's some sort of cyst or infection. Ideally, you could find a vet who could examine and possibly drain it.

5. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Amiga it's actually not a infection it is a pool of saliva. This happened to one of my ducks. Best thing to do is have a vet drain it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  6. SqueakerDuck

SqueakerDuck New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Indiana
    Yes. I have an appointment for Friday. I just hope
    She keeps eating and drinking until then. She appears to be growing just like the rest though. She's one of the bigger ones. I had read a thread where someone had drained something supposedly similar and their bird ended up passing. :(. So I'm to scared to try myself. And since she's been eating and drinking I don't want to put her in pain so she stops, because I know that won't help her. I'm hoping it's just something they can drain and hopefully won't put the bird in pain in the process. She's a sweet duck.

7. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Good! No it won't hurt the duck she might squirm a little bit. My duck was fine.

Good luck!

8. SqueakerDuck

SqueakerDuck New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Indiana
    Change in plans. The lump doubled in size. I'm at the vet and they are draining it. Antibiotics twice a day for X# of days. And if it doesn't get better she may need surgery. She's 1 week old today. Poor duck. :( I hope she doesn't need surgery, I hope they just drain it and that's the end of it.

9. gal5150

gal5150 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    Poor thing, did they have any thoughts on what caused it?

10. SqueakerDuck

SqueakerDuck New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Indiana
    They suspected it was a cyst. The fluid was clear. They said it could be a random occurrence. They also said that sometimes ducks can have chronic. hereditary issues. She gets oral antibiotics twice a day for 7 days. And I'm hoping that's then end of it. I about cried with relief when they brought them out (I took 2 siblings with us so they wouldn't stress out) the lump was so much smaller and she look so happy. It's still swollen. but as long as it doesn't get bigger, I'd call it a win. She was guzzeling down food and water when we got home. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by