Lump on neck - 9 days old with PICTURES

Beckaryu

Chirping
May 18, 2021
Northern BC Canada
Hello! I’ve read a few postings on this question but all of them are a little different from my question.
my 9 day old chick has a lump on the side of its neck. It’s pecking and eating relatively well but I don’t see it drinking and have been dipping her beak to encourage water intake. It’s a tiny chick compared to its “siblings” and is breathing heavily.
What is this lump is this the crop? How do I help it drink more liquids? Is there something I can give them to help them have a healthy immune system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’ve never owned chickens before.

Attachments

• 535D33FC-1DFF-41C8-A2EF-D5E717C55AC3.jpeg
    535D33FC-1DFF-41C8-A2EF-D5E717C55AC3.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 708F8279-FC4E-47E8-A91F-D0BAC1932F85.jpeg
    708F8279-FC4E-47E8-A91F-D0BAC1932F85.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 728DD05B-F188-4E94-8C2A-5F53882C5266.jpeg
    728DD05B-F188-4E94-8C2A-5F53882C5266.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
When photographing a chick, remove it from the brooder when you have a red heat lamp. It washes out detail. Place the chick in natural lighting or under a white light for best photos.

For that reason, I need to ask which side of the neck you see this lump? If it's on the chick's right side of the chest just below the head, it's most likely the crop.

When photographing a chick, remove it from the brooder when you have a red heat lamp. It washes out detail. Place the chick in natural lighting or under a white light for best photos.

For that reason, I need to ask which side of the neck you see this lump? If it's on the chick's right side of the chest just below the head, it's most likely the crop.

than you so much for replying! It’s on the chicks right side - that’s great!
any idea why it and it’s “twin” might be breathing so heavy? It (and sometimes it’s twin) sits all by itself facing the wall with its back wings sagging. it’s sad.

It may be constipation. The crop may be impacted and nothing is moving through the digestive system. It can cause extreme lethargy. Give a half teaspoon of oil directly into the beak.

I like to use coconut oil since liquid oil is messy and risks getting into the airway. Measure out the amount and divide it into pea size pieces and chill. Then slip each piece one at a time into the right side of the beak. You give any chicken something my mouth, you do it on the right side where the crop is because there's an open channel (esophagus) on the right side of the throat and food or liquids simply slide right down the chute into the crop.

This will usually soften the obstruction and the chick will poop a big one, and it will feel much better.

Thank you for this! The chick has been pooping and eating well - but it feels like it’s a bulge of air and breathing heavily and it’s wings are droopy... any ideas?

Attachments

• 545D6C55-CAE6-4084-ACD3-DBCD69FB92E8.jpeg
    545D6C55-CAE6-4084-ACD3-DBCD69FB92E8.jpeg
    634.2 KB · Views: 27
Hi everyone,
So originally I was worried about the lump on my chicks neck. It turned out to be the crop, that wasn’t emptying properly I don’t think. Now that it is - I’ve noticed a new situation that is worse IMO. I started a new thread asking if anyone know what the “air bubble” is - I’m linking that thread to this one as I figure more knowledgeable minds the better!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...gs-and-heavy-breathing.1470094/#post-24502820

It may be constipation. The crop may be impacted and nothing is moving through the digestive system. It can cause extreme lethargy. Give a half teaspoon of oil directly into the beak.

I like to use coconut oil since liquid oil is messy and risks getting into the airway. Measure out the amount and divide it into pea size pieces and chill. Then slip each piece one at a time into the right side of the beak. You give any chicken something my mouth, you do it on the right side where the crop is because there's an open channel (esophagus) on the right side of the throat and food or liquids simply slide right down the chute into the crop.

This will usually soften the obstruction and the chick will poop a big one, and it will feel much better.
20210625_175521.jpg

Please help...lump on bbaby sparrow's neck!!

Back
Top Bottom