Lump On Neck

Chickens32

In the Brooder
May 28, 2018
My chicken is a banty and she is very broody right now. But that is not my problem. She has this lump on her neck. It was about the size of a tennis ball yesterday. (6-20-18) And this morning it was about the size of a golf ball and I checked on her around 5ish and it was smaller than a tennis ball a larger than a golf ball. (6-21-18) Any tips or any ideas of treating it or what it possibly could be.

Ps. Please don't say take it to your vet because all of the vets in our area have no experience in poultry.

-TIA

Can you be more specific about where on the neck? Could it be her crop in her right upper chest? Do you have a picture? Here is a picture of the crop:

upload_2018-6-21_20-6-17.png

yes It is in her chest if she is laying on her back it is the left side. So does that mean the crop is swollen?

Sounds like it's the crop, and maybe normal. If she's broody then they don't eat as often, so she may be really filling it when she does eat. It will normally fill and empty throughout the day as they eat and digest. Remove all feed once they go to roost at night, check first thing in the morning before she's had a chance to eat and it should be empty. If that is the case then all is probably well. If you don't want her to hatch eggs, then you should break her of broodiness, and she will go back to eating and drinking normally. Best way is with a wire crate raised up so that air circulates all around her, no bedding, she's stays in there until she's changed her mind. May take a day or two, or a week if she's real stubborn. https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/6-ways-to-break-a-broody-hen/
broody-hen-a-cage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom