Lump on new chickens chest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by merlion, Mar 10, 2009.

1. merlion

merlion New Egg

Mar 10, 2009
    I bought a young 6 or 7week old chick on saturday (4 days ago) she was perfectly fine up untill when I went out to see her to put the chickens to bed. I notice she has a large lump below her neck on the right hand side, on her chest. She also has dirrareah. She is eating very well though and seems content. Please help.

I did only notice it just then, im sure it wasnt there this morning, if it was it wasnt as noticable.

2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Could it be the crop? If so it should be empty this morning. Hope this helps and [​IMG]

3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    my chickens have a lump on there chests feed them mealy worms if it is crop what do you do I stopped feeding and am giving only water is that right...

4. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    They are supposed to have a big, hard lump there. The crop is a temporary storage place for food so if they don't have any immediately in front of them, they can move it from the crop to the throat and digest it. I'd worry if the lump WASN'T there. [​IMG]
    It will be smaller in the morning, as they consume food from the crop through the night. It should be really hard and big as evening approaches.
    Fear not! They're fine!!

5. kycklingar!

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    oh, and 3chickens, go back to chick crumble, quick! They need that food [​IMG] The crop is normal, it's not a disorder.

6. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    So I should give them back there crumble tonight..And Thanks sooo much..

7. kycklingar!

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    Yep! Have fun with your new babies!

8. NorthmenFeather

NorthmenFeather Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2015
    This happened to me but its not going away. And it is squishy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by