Lump on rightish side of chicken? And other questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheReadyBoys, Feb 24, 2013.

1. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    So I have this hen who is pecking herself I think. How can I stop this? She is picking the feathers off her left side back. Also, she is picking the feathers off of her stomach and tail. She hasn't laid an egg in a week or so, when I started to notice it. She also has a large bump on her breast area on her rightish side. I have her separated from the other hens, and I am giving her a warm bath in a bucket every day. She is in a dog crate in the basement. I don't know what it is, or what else I can try! Please help me out! I am going to post pictures soon. I hope you can help!

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
  3. llandry

llandry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    The large lump on the right side of her chest is definitely her crop. I'm not sure why she's feather plucking though.

4. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I would check for mites or lice. Feather eating is also a sign of not enough protein. If her crop is impacted and she is starving she could be trying to find the nutrients she needs? Just a thought. The would first confirm an impacted crop and then treat from there.

5. TheReadyBoys

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    I think it might be her crop. She is eating lot's and, if this helps at all, she is pooping quite a bit.

6. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It is normal for a chicken's crop to fill as they eat. What is bad is if the crop is not emptying. I would isolate her tonight with no food, only water and then check on the her in the morning. If her crop is empty in the morning after not having eaten anything all night then her crop is fine. If it is still full then it is likely either sour or impacted.

7. TheReadyBoys

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Ok, I will leave the food today and take it out tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by