Lump on shoulder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CeceDawn, Mar 13, 2015.

1. CeceDawn

CeceDawn New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    Our baby chick, a Polish Crested, has a large lump on her shoulder. It looks just like a blister, it's filled with fluid. Otherwise she seems health. Does anyone know what this possibly could be? Should I be concerned? Is there something I can do?

2. n3kms

n3kms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    What is your heat source? Could it be a burn?

3. CeceDawn

CeceDawn New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    I don't think so. The heating lamp is on the outside of the cage. But that is the only explanation I've been able to find online. I'm not sure what to do or think.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Were your chicks vaccinated? I'm not sure if vaccinations are dome on the shoulder of chicks, just a thought.
    Could you pop the blister with a hot needle and drain it? I've never had this problem before, and it doesn't seem like many other folks have seen or heard of it either, so you might want to request to the mods that this post get moved to the Emergency section of the forum.

5. CeceDawn

CeceDawn New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    How do I do that? I'm new to this page and can't find how to do that.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you're new, you can't post pics. How big is this lump. Which shoulder? Is it on the back of the shoulder, or perhaps in the front, more like at shoulder level, but on the side of the chest? If it's in the front, on the right, it's the crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by