lump on silkie face

The Isa Silkie

In the Brooder
6 Years
I have joined because one of my Silkie hens has a swollen lump next to her eye. I first noticed it yesterday. it was bleeding a bit and i washed it with warm water and salt. was this the right thing to do? Does anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:
A picture would be very helpful to figure out what it is. Is the face swollen or is it a scab or a peck injury? Many respiratory infections will present as swelling near the eye. Are there any other symptoms such as bubbles in the eye, sneezing, or nasal drainage?

Yes I can see what looks like peck marks, so that is a relief. Watch it though. Put some Neosporin ointment on it, and watch for more pecking. Gention violet from the bandaid aisle at walmart would be good to dab on it to color it blue and hide it from being pecked. It is the same ingredient in BluKote, and the eye is too close for spraying.

Thank You Eggcessive
smile.png

cheers Eggcessive i have looked and fortunately it is not fowl pox. I have also looked at Newcastle disease but i don't think that it is that as she only has the eye swelling. i will try and get some pics of them now. Do you think i should keep rinsing it with warm salty water?

Back
Top Bottom