Lump on the back of my chick's neck

RichardMoyles

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
Hi i found a lump on the back of my chickens neck i dont think it's her crop as its on the back of her neck any idea's do i need to bring her to the vet ?

I haven't seen anything like that. Is it soft or firm like a boney deformity? It is possible it may be a cyst. I'm not sure if it could be from a leaking air sac there--usually the ones I have seen are on the chest. Is it having any problems?

As of now it dosent seem to even notice it .. eating fine , drinking fine she seems fine but im just worried about her it's soft with some feather loss around it ? any ideas? should i take her to the vet ?

Most vets don't see chickens, and avian vets are quite expensive. I might watch it for a few days. Since it isn't red the other chickens shouldn't peck it. If it is a ruptured air sac (subcutaneous emphysema) it may reabsorb into the bloodstream soon. If it is more serious as in a cyst, it would increase in size.

I have 2 4 week old chicks with the same thing in the same place.I have been searching all over this site for info. How is your chick doing? I would appreciate any info. This is my first time raising chicks. These were hatched by a broody hen on 4/21/15. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom