Lump on top of BBB's head *Updated with pics

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by PotterWatch, Aug 15, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have six turkeys that are about 3 months old. They are all growing well except for one of the two BBB's is having a little leg trouble and he has a lump on the top of his head. The lump is right on the top, but off to one side. Anyone know what could be causing this? I can get a picture if needed. Our other BBB had a case of fowl pox a few weeks ago but it has cleared up and none of the others showed any signs of it. Other than that, our turkeys have done very well and we are looking forward to some great turkey dinners!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    A picture might help but offhand I can't really think of anything. Maybe a local infection or something like that?

3. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'll try to get down to the farm this evening or tomorrow and take a picture.

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I had a BBW some years ago with a lump on it's head... it didn't cause any problems that I know of and I'm sure he tasted the same. I just called him 'Lumpy'. Some friends came to help process the turkeys and they bought some, one friend was raving about how good his was. I put on a sad face and said 'that was Lumpy... he was my favorite.' I thought the guy was going to cry. [​IMG]

5. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Here are a couple pictures that I took today. Sorry about the poor quality, they were taken with my phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Anyone have an opinion? I'm guessing it's nothing awful since the turkey in question seems fine otherwise (other than his weak leg that is...).

7. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Perhaps he has a bigger brain... What's his name? Einstein? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by