Lump on Turken's neck?! Update: IT DISAPPEARED!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shotsii, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Shotsii

Shotsii Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Southeast Georgia
    This morning I went out to open the coop expecting the worse, but the lump is completely gone. Like it never happened.

Today while feeding my chickens an afternoon serving of Layena crumbles I noticed that my Turken had a big lump on the side of her neck. She was also sluggish and swallowing frequently. I caught her and felt the lump. It's soft. I noticed that she was weezing slightly. I don't know if that's from her trying to get away from me or the lump restricting her breathing?? I'm terribly worried.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My goodness that is swollen hopefully someone will be able to help you out, I just don't know. Is there a wound? could it be an abcess? How old is this Turken?

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Wonder what the heck happend to her?

4. Shotsii

Jun 1, 2010
    Southeast Georgia
    I see no wound. No bite marks or anything. I have no idea what is wrong. She's 10.5 months.

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Possibly an abscess?

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    That doesnt look good maybe start her on antibotics. Looks like maybe an infection. Hope she gets better real soon. I love Turkens. I have 2

7. Shotsii

Jun 1, 2010
    Southeast Georgia
    Oh my gosh. What can cause an abscess?

As for antibiotics, is there a name brand? I've never had a sick chicken before and I'm not too sure what to do. My parents aren't very helpful [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Alot of chicken folks use Tylan 50 I am not sure what would be best why not do a google search and see what you think is the best. I will too and then we'll see what we come up with.

9. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:Even a little scratch that breaks the skin can let in bacteria that can lead to an infection. But anything is possible...it it "hot" compaired to other areas of her neck? I would agree with an antibiotic...not sure which one...we're trying Tylan now on a sick pullet. Also, I'd keep her separate from the others, if it is an abcess and it ruptures, the others could get nasty with pecking at her.

10. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    is a tumor possible ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by