Lump under beak and between waddles-how do I help her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Merchris, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Merchris

Merchris Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2008
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    She's a frizzle hen, about 7 yrs old and probably weighs about 1-2 lbs. She does feel thinner than the others at this time

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She has a lump under her beak, between her waddles. Her eyes are also a bit crusty and one gets stuck shut sometimes. It did look like there were some bubbles in one of her eyes this morning.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Seems like about a week. I didn't notice the lump until about 3 days ago
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No, but a few of the other birds are sneezy. This started about 2 weeks ago.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    No
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She eats like there is no tomorrow. I've been giving them applesauce with garlic, vitamins, and some oatmeal. I've also been putting ACV in the water. They've been receiving layer feed.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Seems normal, but the coop does seem a bit more fragrant than usual. Hard to tell if it's also because we had to seal it up even tighter for the colder weather.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    The applesauce with garlic as mentioned above. Also putting Vetrx on the lump and on her comb and waddles.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Dirt floors, hay in roosts.

I will also say that she's acting like herself, she runs all around, loves to play with my son and doesn't seem to be in pain or anything. This is my very favorite girl, so I'm really hoping someone has some advice that can help us.
    Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think you are dealing with infectious coryza, which is a contagious respiratory disease. It is a carrier disease, and when birds recover from the initial illness they will never be cured, and are carriers for the rest of their lives. I would cull a bird in my flock with coryza, but if you chose to treat, an antibiotic called sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox or Albon) can be used. Sulmet is another one. Here is some info: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Merchris

Feb 1, 2008
    Thanks for your replies. Do you think that lump will go down with treatment? I know it's hard to say one way or another. I wouldn't say she smells foul or anything....she just smells like a chicken.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The drug may help the lump to go down, but either of those illnesses are chronic and will come back. Erythromycin (Gallimycin) is another drug that can treat either of these illnesses. I don't have any experience treating either of these. I would read the links that I provided to get some idea of what you are dealing with.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    After talking with another BYCer that I respect, he suspects that your hen may have a cyst or tumor between the wattles. It could also be an abscess, especially if you see any peck marks. Usually with coryza, there is a bad odor. And with fowl cholera the wattles themselves are very swollen. So your hen could have another respiratory infection such as infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma (CRD.). She could still have coryza, too, but you might want to try giving her Tylan or oxytetracycline. You could also try some warm compresses on the swollen area in case it is an abscess. If you think it is an abscess, you might try to lance it after the compresses.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is the swollen area soft or hard?

9. Merchris

Feb 1, 2008
    It's sort of in the middle. It's not hard, but not really squishy or anything either. Let's just say it's moderately firm. I did try doing a warm compress the other day, but that was a tough one as she didn't really feel like sitting still for that one. I have been putting teramyacin in her eyes, which seems to help them from crusting over.

10. Merchris

Feb 1, 2008
    So I just came from checking on her, and she's worse this morning. I think she's basically breathing out of her mouth, and it seems like there is some slimy liquid on her beak. Her eyes are closed this morning, I just put teramyicin on them to help out, but they're not even really stuck closed, just closed. I found some Sulmet in the barn, so used some of that in her water. She drank a little. I also put some Vetrx down her in hopes of it helping with the breathing. It makes me very sad to see her this way. I don't get attached to all my chickens like this, but she is extra special. I'd appreciate any more ideas you guys can give me, but I also know that when birds start going downhill, in my experience, it doesn't end well.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by