Lump under wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dovegirl1956, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Dovegirl1956

Dovegirl1956 New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    My boyfriend has 3 chickens. The Plymouth Rock for the past few day's has acted a bit off. Normally she's the first to eat, but the past few day's she hasn't done that. Today when he came home he found her and her condition was not good. He found a mushy lump on her chest under her wing. He picked her up and she died.....right there and now he's freakin out because his White hen has a hard lump in the same general area. What are these lumps/masses.......and what (dietary, keeping the coup extra clean and checking his hens daily for any abnornalities...with poop and general overall health checks) can we look at that perhaps we've overlooked? Please help :)

2. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    How big is the lump, and are there more than one anywhere else on her body? Sounds like a cancer or cyst. I'm not sure though, maybe someone else will know more.

3. Dovegirl1956

Dovegirl1956 New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Thanks for your reply. I saw the chicken after it passed. This lump....was the size of a baseball.......on the breast. It was watery.......with what looked like crop substance beneath it. Not sure what happened but I did examine the remainder of the chickens for any lumps and after doing this health check (along with checking the crops, vent , mouth and legs for bites) found nothing except the keels being somewhat pronounced. I told boyfriend to add more calcium to their diet......and to worm. We'll see what happens :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by