lumps above its beak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by felixpaul, May 15, 2016.

1. felixpaul

felixpaul Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2016
    Is it normal?

i found some lumps above the beak of my Kadaknath chick.
    there 5 chicks out of it 2 has it. So i am thinking is it some kind of disease and Do i have to quarantine it?

Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi. Not to worry. This is their comb.the comb helps regulate their temperature. The lump below the chest is their crop.it gets very large after eating because food is stored inside the crop. As it digests the crop becomes smaller again. Sometimes you can even feel the feed inside it. Go online and search anatomy of a chicken and it will suprise you how different they are! In fact, they have more than two lungs! Search it up. It's good to learn. But don't worry your chick's are normal! :) There are many types of combs. Your chick's comb is called a Single comb. As they grow you will also notice fleshy appendages by their jaw, these are called wattles. Hope this helps! ALL CHICKENS HAVE COMBS. they may look different because there different types. Please Google types of chicken combs. It is completely healthy and normal!

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I disagree. The crop is located below the neck on the birds chest. This growth is just below the comb. OP- did this chick hatch with that growth or is it a recent development? It could be due to clogged up sinuses or maybe just some weird growth from something like a bug bite or brooder injury.

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    It looks like there might be a crust at the front portion of the swelling. You can try to gently remove it and see if you can express any material from the swellng (like popping a pimple, but gentle). If you get any material, I would wash with soap/water using a Q-tip so not to get water down the nostrils and apply an antibiotic ointment.

1 person likes this.
  5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Oh I apologize. I looked closer and saw the growth the opp was referring to. On the beak itself, below the comb. It is a raised area. I did NOT notice this when I posted as I do not have my glasses on. Until above post brought the raised area to my attention, after I put on my glasses I can clearly see what the opp is referring to. Please excuse my above post as I was looking at the comb and then the crop as without my glasses I could not see the raised area. I'm very sorry. This is clearly not normal. I am truely sorry. As for the nature of the lump, I can not say and I wish I could be of more help. Are they breathing normally? Any sound when they try to breathe? Have you checked the roof of the mouth for any whiteish/grey growths in the mouth, tongue, roof of mouth? Is the raised area hard or soft? Does it have a smell??

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  6. felixpaul

Feb 5, 2016
    Thank you all for your replies.

7. felixpaul

Feb 5, 2016
    My friend who has many hens here told me that it's because of heat and asked me to apply turmeric.

Like wise I have applied.

8. felixpaul

Feb 5, 2016
    is that pimple contagious? or can i keep them all in a same cage.

I think its because of the HOT climate we have here in India.

Can I give chopped onions to them (they are 2 weeks old now ) ??

9. felixpaul

Feb 5, 2016
    Since its too small i dint try to open its beak. But its not smelly.

10. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Do not give them onions at any age, or potatoes. I will give my chickens things that had onions mixed into them, and they pick around the onion, but large quantities of onion or potato can be dangerous.

Last edited: May 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by