lumps behind the eyes/on ears

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NDFarmer, Nov 15, 2013.

1. NDFarmer

NDFarmer New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    I have a chicken that has an open soar on both sides of its head right behind the eye. the open part of the sore is about half the size of a penny and it is yellow on the inside. Does anyone know what it could be?

2. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Could it be ear infections? Any other symptoms, such as head shaking, imbalance? Try searching for ear infections.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It would be easier if you could post a picture.

4. NDFarmer

NDFarmer New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    [​IMG]
    its on both sides, the lump itself is about the size of a quarter. She's been very aggressive lately as well

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh yes that looks to be an ear infection. There may be some solidified pus in there. Can you get some antibiotics like amoxicillin? Erythromycin (Gallimycin) and penicillin probably are available at your feed store. I would get some hydrogen peroxide, Q-Tips, and Neosporin ointment. You may need to try digging out some of the pus--it may be cheesy and hard. Then try putting some peroxide in the ear canal, and cleaning that out. Fill the ear canals with Neosporin ointment. If you can take him to a vet it might be easier to treat.

Here is a similar case recently: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/831156/really-nasty-ear-infection-in-a-silkie-hen-graphic-pics

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by