Lumps(pictures)

saikokurage

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
I have a 8/9 months old japanese quail and she's had a lump in her ankle for a while.
It's not a huge lump and it doesn't look like bumble foot to me.
It's of a purplish color and it's a little swollen.
I don't think is anything too serious because she eats fine and lays eggs but she's limping a little bit and avoids standing on her foot with the lump(yet she walks around my house,she's not lethargic) so I believe it's time I do something about this issue.
Today I started to let her feet in warm water with salt to see if I can get some positive results but since I don't know what the problem seems to be I guess this won't do.
If anyone knows how to treat these things,please let me know.

(I'd like to remark once again that the foot that's giving her troubles is the one with the purple swollen lump)
I've been told to pinch it with a needle and let whatever it's inside that lump out, but I think there must be some more reasonable solution.
If there is,please tell me.
I don't know much about quails, but I do know this isn't normal for one so I'm in a real need of help right now.
Kind regards.

Exactly how long has she been like this? This could be a couple of things...She may have injured it at some point and she developed some sort of bacterial infection in it, she broke the joint, something of this nature to cause permanent swelling such as arthritis, ect... Or she may have MS, Mycoplasma Synoviae, a bacterial infection. MS causes large joint swelling, heat in the joint, limping, and can cause liver and other infections as well. Does she have any other symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, lack of appetite, yellow urates? She may have poked her foot pad at some point and did have bumblefoot which cleared up and she contracted a Staph infection which moved into the joint.

I would not recommend poking it with needle as it may not be that type of thing that you can drain and all you would be doing is opening up more places for infection to enter.

You might try the antibiotic Doxycycline on her for a few weeks and see if that does not clear it up. Either that or Baytril. Both of these work well on internal infections of both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, both of these antibiotics would cover any Staph infections or even MS she may have.

The lump's been there for about a month or perhaps more.I noticed it once it grew but since it never seemed to cause her troubles I assumed it was nothing serious and thought it'd go away with time,but I was wrong.
I don't believe it developed because of a broken joint,she never fell or anything similar to break a joint.
I've read about MS but she doesn't have any symptoms aside from that lump(she doesn't sneeze or have a runny nose or yellow urates,she eats a lot).So that makes me think she isn't suffering of that disease.
But I will try to find Doxycycline or Baytril.See,this isn't very relevant but I live in Argentina and there's not quite a variety of antibiotics for birds here,there aren't even avian vets here so that's why I decided to join this site.
Is there any alternative antibiotic you'd recommend which could be easier to find or perhaps another simpler solution(like a homemade remedy)?
Anyhow,
I sincerely appreciate your response to my post.
Thank you for taking the time to reply and letting me know of what could be causing troubles to my pet quail.
Thank you,honestly.
And if there is another way to cure her with simpler methods,please,let me know.
Have a wonderful day...!

Other ways you might approach this is the natural way, from the inside out. Start with adding a good poultry vitamin/mineral supplement to the diet in hopes of boosting the immune system. You might also use ACV, apple cider vinegar in her water, (2 tablespoons per gallon of water made fresh daily) to also aid in internal healing. ACV is a natural antibiotic, anti viral and anti fungal treatment. It also stimulates the appetite and boosts the immune response.

You might also want to try daily warm epsom salt soaks. Epsom salts draw out poisons from the system. After a 10 min soak a day, you could apply a coating of Preparation H, which can bring down inflammation. I used Prep H on a chicken with MS once and had good luck keeping the swelling at bay. Castor oil rubs are also good to draw out poison and stimulate blood flow to the area.

I have even heard of alternating ice water baths with warm water baths can reduce inflammation.

Infra red light has healing qualities as well and is used to treat arthritis. You might put her under an infra red heat lamp for 15 mins a day to help stimulate the blood flow, immune responses and over all wellness.

Make sure she is on a good diet and add healthy veggies and fruits to her diet as well.

ALSO...do not keep her on hard surfaces in a cage. Where ever she spends most of her time, it needs to be soft. So if you use a cage with a wire bottom, replace the wire with grass hay or shavings so the foot and leg are not under full weight and shock. Do not let her jump of high areas to hard surfaces.

I hope she recovers. :)

Last edited:
Honestly,I have no words to express how thankful I am...
I don't know what else to say but thank you...!
I'm going to try all the things you recommended and I hope I get some positive results(which I'm sure I will).
Also,I couldn't find Baytril or Doxycycline anywhere here in my town but I bought an antibiotic with Flofernicol and Bromhexine(I don't think it'll really work so I'll only give that antibiotic to her as a last resource).
She's a big spoiled quail so I think she'll go through this without any problems...But in case the swelling doesn't disappear, then I guess I'll have to post another thread or bother you with more questions(I'd like to apologize in the first place for making you take time in responding my questions once again).
I truly found your replies helpful and I hope the people who are having similar problems with their quails read your replies so they know how to treat this :)
Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions and for helping me find a cure for my quail's little foot...!
My kindest regards.

Honestly,I have no words to express how thankful I am...
I don't know what else to say but thank you...!
I'm going to try all the things you recommended and I hope I get some positive results(which I'm sure I will).
Also,I couldn't find Baytril or Doxycycline anywhere here in my town but I bought an antibiotic with Flofernicol and Bromhexine(I don't think it'll really work so I'll only give that antibiotic to her as a last resource).
She's a big spoiled quail so I think she'll go through this without any problems...But in case the swelling doesn't disappear, then I guess I'll have to post another thread or bother you with more questions(I'd like to apologize in the first place for making you take time in responding my questions once again).
I truly found your replies helpful and I hope the people who are having similar problems with their quails read your replies so they know how to treat this :)
Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions and for helping me find a cure for my quail's little foot...!
My kindest regards.
You are quite welcome. :) I enjoy helping people and their birds. I am no expert in any sense, but what ever knowledge I have, I don't mind sharing with others. Then they can share it others as well. :)

If the swelling continues to get worse, and you have exhausted everything else, then you might try the antibiotics. If you have any human grade penicillin around, that may knock out infection in the joint. I can dig up the proper amount for you if you go that route.

If all things fail, and this "thing" never goes away, you might look to medicinal herbs to treat her. Herbs have great healing power and might be the answer in the end. Many times however, the body heals itself and all it needs is a boost. So give these things a try and keep us posted. :)

From my point of view,you really are an expert..!I'm really glad someone like you read my thread and gave me multiple solutions to treat my quail
big_smile.png

I believe the swelling should go down with the ACV and epsom salts,then again I can't really foresee the future but I'm very optimistic about my quail since she's quite young and seems to be doing well even with that swollen foot.
But in case that doesn't work I will try the antibiotics I bought and see what happens(though I don't think they'll be very helpful),
Perhaps penicillin will be the best choice if all else fails,but I'd rather choose the herbs since they sound less harmful to her than the penicillin.
Anyhow,is too soon to be talking about this.Today I'll start the ACV and epsom salt treatment and see how it goes.
I'll let you know as soon as a see results...!
Thank you for your advice and concern once again...!:)

At the very moment,she's eating as fine as always...she never lost her appetite for what it seems.
She doesn't have further problems than a little limping with her swollen foot.
She's a really strong quail from my point of view, and she's lived with this swelling for more than a month and it never gave her serious troubles so that makes me think she deserves to be called strong.I know I've been a horrible owner for letting her live with that lump for such a long time but I always believed it'd go away by itself, plus I tried looking for answers on this site but most of the posts about lumps had to do with bumblefoot or other worst diseases(which luckily,my quail doesn't have).
She's always been a rather happy-go-lucky little girl so that's why I believed this "thing" on her foot didn't cause her troubles but I admit I was terribly wrong by thinking that.
Anyhow, I hope if someone who has a similar problem finds this useful for their quails...!
I started the ACV and epsom salt treatment today and I'll post pictures as soon as I get results...!and if I don't,then I'll update
Thank you for your concern :)
Have a wonderful day...!

You didn't do anything wrong waiting so long to figure out what might be wrong with her. Many times these things do disappear on their own. Happens to us all, including to ourselves! LOL However, being that she is young and getting so much love from you, she has the best chance that any quail has ever had in healing.

You might also try about a 1/16th or 1/32nd of a BABY asprin twice a day for a few days. That might help relieve some of the swelling.

I wish you all the luck in healing your baby. I hope she makes a full recovery. Keep us posted.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom