1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lumpy egg-The white/yolk are always excellent looking/tasty

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chooniecat, Feb 22, 2013.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    but shell is not pretty(I don't sell these-they're ours!!!!). Knowledge of what can CAUSE these?Bad pics, as always, but I think the problem is visable enuf.Top/bottom of egg the worst.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I would guess it is a calcium phosphorus imbalance. Is it just one hen with the issue? Has she been laying long? What are they fed & do they free range?

3. TheCrazyClucker

TheCrazyClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    huh... I'm stumped. I've never seen anything like it. Is the shell soft? Was the hen that layed it molting?

4. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    No clue who does it(probably same hen-only happens 1x per week) and if it IS the same hen it would be an older hen(3 1/2 yo) probably. Has occured for last 3 yrs. Nothing I can do about it-too many hens. Currently none are molting. I remember seeing similar pics a long time ago.Have found occassional soft egg(has been a smooth egg and only happens 2x a yr. or so)but this egg is hard.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  5. SD Bird Lady

I am going to stick with my guess that they are calcium deposits. I would think if you sanded it they would be white underneath the brown layer. Just one of those anomolies you would have never gotten to see if you only purchased eggs from the store.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

7. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Imp-this site was kind of vauge but it was still interesting. My computer doesn't load correctly and I think thats why it seemed like some pages were missing.Anyhoo-ty

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The list on the left is/are links to other pages. Not sure what you mean?

9. SD Bird Lady

Ya once you click on the links it gets more detailed at first I thought it was vague too but the links explain in better detail.

10. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    OK. I am NOT the brightest and I have returned to the poultrysite and have my brain together this a.m. and see much more there today!! I am going to hang my head now. TY.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by