Lumpy Eggs

amantedelenguaj

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
My beautiful, 8-month-old Easter Egger is laying lumpy eggs. About 2 weeks ago, she laid a shell-less egg. She has been laying for 3 months now. Her eggs are large to extra-large. She lays about 6 times a week, really more than I expected of an EE. My hens have crushed oyster shells available if they need calcium. She and 3 other chickens are caged in a chicken tractor with a small run, but I let them out 4 times a week for about 45 minutes each time to run the .25 acre yard while I watch them. I don't know what to do. Please advise.

Hi there.

Those are just calcium deposits. Nothing to be concerned about at all. Also, it's not unusual for a new layer to lay shell-less eggs every once in a while either.

X2, they're calcium deposits, if she is the only one who is doing it, the three main causes listed seem to be strain/genetics of the bird, old age (she's young so guess count that out) and excess calcium/ calcium/D3 ratio off, http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/21/pimples and https://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf are you feeding them a Layer feed?
Yes, they have been on layer feed since November--DuMOR Poultry Layer 16% Crumble.

Might be worth a try, since you are feeding them Layer, would be inclined to take away the extra oyster shell for a little while and see if that makes a difference in case she has developed a habit of picking at it for some reason, and don't feed them high calcium treats in case she is hogging them... since she seems to be laying them pretty consistently. And maybe add a poultry vitamin supplement to their water.

Might be worth a try, since you are feeding them Layer, would be inclined to take away the extra oyster shell for a little while and see if that makes a difference in case she has developed a habit of picking at it for some reason, and don't feed them high calcium treats in case she is hogging them... since she seems to be laying them pretty consistently. And maybe add a poultry vitamin supplement to their water.
Thanks! I'll give it a try for 3 weeks and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom